[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Something to get your blood boiling.... OR NOT

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wynsum@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 15:52:37 -0800

After watching this short clip I cannot say I totally disagree with ALL of it.

<G>
There certainly were some good and strong points made with what I tend to call
"extreme"  Breeds.   Granted....they probably utilized the most extreme examples
they could find.........but.......Let's be honest....some have been bred some
specific
"qualities" into  some breeds to the  point of the animal being non-functional
as a dog!
BUT if that is what a specific Breed is desired for.... by mankind....it will
not change.   If a
Bull Dog gasping for breath on a hot day is "desired"......or the risk of the
bulging eye
breeds popping an eye out is worth it to the owner.......sadly....then it will
not change.
In this video.......they obviously used some pretty "EXTREMES"  to make their
point.....and
that's not fair to breeders or the precise factual point of their own video,
nor those Breeds
........But......
We have to stay focused on OUR  Breed.   The photo used for a 1925 German
Shepherd Dog
was not a good example and certainly was not a 'good one'  even during that
time or era.
Also....the example of a GSD with a roached banana back  in reality is not a
fair interpretation of
the German Shepherd Dog and what any of us are breeding for today.    Looks
like a deliberate
mis-interpretation of what we strive for just for the sole purpose of making us
look bad.....but is a
good reminder that we should not lose our way........for a "look".
THAT being said.....WE ...in OUR Breed are seeing softer and softer coats all
the time.....and
breeders even remarking on what a "wonderful soft coat"....Fido the GSD has.
A soft coat is not
correct nor as easy to maintain....so lets not go there!    The correct coarse
coat dries quicker and
easier, repels dirt, stands up to harsh conditions much better, and is in
general a much more
"efficient"  "working" coat that serves it's purpose on a working dog much MUCH
better.
Also......NO WHERE in our Standard is that desired red hue asked for.... and we
are shooting
ourselves in the foot when judges expect only that.......and the dye is
becoming common in the
grooming equipment.
One of the best things about our Breed to me ......has always been that it is a
"natural"  Breed.
.

 Let's really try to stay within that realm........and we'll be OK and our dogs
will be OK!

Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com