[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Something to discuss

  • From: Channing Sheets <cashe90@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bedkar@xxxxx>, <ketchy@xxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 01:39:22 +0000

I see what Barbara is saying in theory.  However, In shepherds that isn't the
case.  Like Kay said the best specimens aren't always the best producers.  And
some of the dogs I have seen go on to be top producers I probably wouldn't
feed.  There doesn't seem to be such a strong correlation between top show dogs
and top producers in shepherds as there is in other breeds.  When I bred
Dobermans, I could breed two nice dogs together and get at least one to finish
in the all breeds.  In shepherds you could breed the GV to the GV and get a
litter full of pets.  My friends that breed pugs, corgi's, and keeshonds used
to have litters three deep in champions when they bred mediocre dogs.

As far as showing sterile dogs, If he is a showstopper an is sterile why not?
Mystique is the top winning dog in the history of the breed (she deserved every
award), but she never had a litter.  Show and breeding are two different
things.  Like coated bitches she may be super nice and may produce selects even
though she will never be a select.

Channing

www.ca-shegsd.com