[ SHOWGSD-L ] Some thought, oh yes, I have

  • From: Holly Whitney <holly@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 18:08:43 -0500

Oh I have read it and I have given it some thought and I'm still angry.  I've
been trying to ignore it but I can't anymore.
This is in regards to the amateur futurity.

1. I intensely dislike being lumped in with a disqualifying fault.
2. Evan, I love you but really.  Yes, we should be judging the dogs but we
don't always.  And it's hard to compete with a handler who clearly can show a
dog better than some amateurs.

The amateur futurity was meant as a means to encourage people to show their
dogs.  Maybe to continue or maybe to hire a handler and have them do it.  But
it was meant as encouragement.  For some people the futurity is their first
experience with dog shows.  NONE of this is encouraging.

I wish I could "just hire a handler" as someone once told me.  For me it's not
that simple.  I can't always afford one.  I haven't bred 2 GV or GVX so it's
not like anyone is waiting for my call.  I'm lowest on the totem pole.  I don't
mind being there, I of all people understand the game.  (I was in my mother's
belly when her bitch went MV much to the disgust of the old guard.)  And I
understand the economics of it.  Handlers need to make money, I don't always
have it.  :-)

The amateur class in the AKC classes and the amateur classes in the futurity is
at least one place where I can hold my own.  I don't have to worry about
competing against a professional handler.  I don't have to worry about any
perception of politics (and I do understand that typically the good handlers
have the good dogs.)

Somehow this week I don't feel encouraged or supported.  Ah well, I can use the
$60 I was going to spend on rejoining the GSDCA and use it on entries to
continue to beat my head against the wall.

Holly
Derry, NH

> Amen.......everyone needs to read this and give it some thought....
>
> Amy Greenhut
> Justrock German Shepherds
> Gen Oak Leopard Tortoises And Tortoise Rescue
> Board Member Last Hope Safe Haven
> http://www.lhsh.org
> Behold The Turtle. He Makes Progress Only When He Sticks His Neck Out
> A Quote By James Conant

www.breelyngsd.com

Home to:
RFB Nikiree's Dream Genie, PT, RE
Ch  Brown Hill's Better Be Worth It, PT, RN, OFA H&E

And the ladies who live on the Hill:
Can Ch Brown Hill's The Gambler, IT
Brown Hill Breelyn's One Tuff Beech

http://showgsd.org/mail.html