[ SHOWGSD-L ] Solutions

  • From: "Susan Tomlinson" <arcturus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 18:14:18 -0500

My solution to the puppy mill problem:  change the requirements on kennel
size. As it stands, the minimum size of kennel is 6" longer and wider than
the dog is long. That is nothing more than a crate. While crates are fine
for temporary confinement, humane kenneling should reflect the size of the
dog. IF the puppy millers had to provide say 8'x10' kennels for a dog the
size of a GSD, or say 3'x4' for each toy poodle how many dogs would they be
able to keep until they ran out of land?
My solution to the dangerous dog problem: We all know proper training stops
many bad behaviors before they ever get started. We also know Pit Bulls are
a problem. While I know Staffordshire terriers (and the related breeds) can
be wonderful pets, in truth its hardly ever, if at all, the "AKC" types that
cause problems. I feel if you want a pit bull dog, or mixed pit bull (the
lab/pit mixes are popular around here) then its justified in asking for
permanent ID on the dog, and the owner must have completed two total
obedience class programs (one puppy, one adult) and sit through a lecture on
the consequences of dangerous dogs. If not, no license and no dog. and No, I
wouldn't like to see German Shepherd owners, or Rottweiler owners ect. have
to do this, but its better than outright bans, and if its too much trouble
then maybe you shouldn't own the breed. I realize many will see this as
opening the door for other breed restrictions, and I know we would have to
be vigilant. The problem with enforcing dangerous dog laws is the dog is
given a chance to bite before he is stopped, although there is much that
could be done with enforcement.
  I am not one of those types who think there ought to be a law about
everything, in fact, I feel our Government treats us like children as it is.
Nonetheless, no child deserves to have their face ruined by a breed of dog
that we know routinely attacks. We have a responsibility to the children.
JMO SueT