[ SHOWGSD-L ] Should we Be SCARED???

  • From: "Terra Fairburn" <terraf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 06:56:34 -0500

I am posting this to alert people in IL to this:
      Last August I posted a warning to all our legislative groups about an
individual from the IL Dept of Revenue requesting information on all licensed
dog breeders in the state of Illinois.

      The state is now using this information to visit the homes of local
breeders in the Belleville area to request their sales tax information
regarding dog sales and any other sales of animals.

      At the time this information first came to light last year, several
breeders contacted their tax experts to ask if dog breeders (mainly show
breeders) needed to file for a tax ID and pay sales taxes on puppies and/or
older dogs.  We received many different answers with opinions supported by the
IL Tax Codes.  Unfortunately, most of the answers did not match!  There were
many who said the occasional breeder was exempt and others stated that everyone
who sold even one dog should pay sales tax.

      Since this issue is not clear, we need to determine what recourse our
show breeders should take when (not if) they are contacted by Revenue.  Please
share your information with all of us in IFDCO.

      Michele Kasten
      Legislative Liaison:
      Belle City Kennel Club
      Schipperke Club of America
      Illiana Schipperke Club
      Schipperke Club of Greater St. Louis
      GSD Club of Southern Illinois
      Midwest Schipperke Rescue
      Schipperke Club of Greater St. Louis, President and Rescue Chair
      President and Co-Founder, Midwest Schipperke Rescue

      RESPONSIBLE BREEDER AND RESCUER, PROUD TO DO BOTH!