[ SHOWGSD-L ] Seminar in Colorado - Are we reducing our genetic pool?

  • From: DaniaKarloff@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 00:41:36 EDT

In conjunction with the board meeting of the GSDCA in  Colorado, Dr. Carmen
Battaglia  (GSDCA delegate and AKC board member) presented a program that was
of much  interest to all attendees (GSDCA members and members of the local All
Breed  Club).  A fascinating point that he  brought up was how the genetic
pool of pure bred dogs is being reduced at such a  high rate that it is
creating
a dangerous situation in many breeds.   In some less popular breeds, this is
leading to an almost inevitable disappearance of the breed.  Dr. Battaglia
brought down many  statistics that confirmed these studies.  One of these
reports
suggested that we, under the mantle of â??responsible  breeders,â?? in our
zealot effort to eliminate certain diseases have removed a  significant number
of
animals from our genetic pool â?? these animals although  affected in one way
or
another were also the carriers of many other good genetic  qualities which we
were removing from our breeding programs.
One particular discussion focused on OFA Hips â?? He proposed that  we need to
practice judicious breedings, minimizing the risk of producing  affected
offsprings.  However, we  also need to ensure that in our efforts to reduce the
frequency of Hip  Dysplasia, we are not giving up other good genetic qualities.

The basic idea was not to discard  animals solely on the fact that they had â??
taintedâ?? hips but who could otherwise  offer many other good genetic traits.
I know this is a controversial subject that may raise heated  discussions â??
it sure did during Dr. Battagliaâ??s presentation in  Colorado.  However, I
believe some very valid  points were raised during this discussion.  You may
want
to invite Dr. Battaglia to speak in your area and listen to  his lecture â?? I
am
sure that in this brief post, I am not doing justice to his  argument.
Dania