[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Seeing Without Interpretation

  • From: Jen Proud <proudk9@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "jokaysedona@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jokaysedona@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 19:25:58 -0600

Isn't it interesting that it was the Pug who made contact while the pit bullish
dog did not?
The sad thing is that when that Pug actually breaks skin on the next guy, it
doubtfully would be reported- what "damage" can a Pug do to someone really?
(Let's hope the victim isn't a child getting bitten in the face, or mentally &
physically scarred for life :(   )
Unfortunately, it is lackadaisical ownership that leads to those breed-bans so
popular these days- and not just for pit bulls!  (Heck- my town had a GSDs ban
from someone's roaming dogs who finally did damage to a bicyclist-- until I
came here to live- it wouldn't fly that "GSDs are vicious and biters" when 2 of
mine were doing the READ program in school; #3 is a service dog and he flirts
with the gals at the grocery, so #4&5 are "pets only" and on the 2 miles my
road is only one house doesn't have at least 1 GSD- at least a dozen amongst
us!  They quickly removed the "no GSDs" policy give thanks!)
I strongly dislike having to go outside of "self-policing", but there are those
times where going to "the" authorities is warranted. That said, has anyone
spoken with these neighbors about their roaming dogs?  It sounds as if they are
chronic offenders at letting them roam-- if being neighborly doesn't work, call
animal control. If their owners don't have even enough concern to prevent their
animals being dead from a HBC, they're better off living with a new owner IMHO.
I found as an ACO that if someone (even us as workers) were decent enough to
give the owner warning about their roaming dogs (especially when they cause
problems while out), and the person gave two craps about their dog/dogs they
would make good efforts to keep them in or go get a dog trolley so the dog
wasn't tied to a tree if they didn't have a secure yard. Those who let their
dogs keep running?  We'd be back and get the dog or dogs and bring them in,
call the owners, and they'd never show. That technically, they were "strays",
we'd have to keep them for the week while they waited for their owner never to
come.. If they didn't come in the first 24 hours, they weren't coming- as
boarding adds up!
To look at this differently,  think of what's best for those dogs... What life
would those dogs have left at all if they actually bit someone and a bite
report was filed?  Broken skin isn't mandatory- punctured or ripped clothing or
a photo of the action are all evidence of a bite- though actual flesh contact
wasn't made, the intent was obviously there. I just worry for those poor souls
who don't have anyone to defend & protect them.  I wouldn't feel bad if I did
the right thing (starting with my neighbor of course) and these two dogs ended
up living better because of it- with their current owners or with new ones.
I hope they are inside while y'all take your walks!  Or at least somewhere else
where you are not!
Wouldn't it be wonderful if training was mandatory for dog ownership?
Jen P & the Pack glad to my front door behind a gate so no "accidents" can
happen if someone slips out on a guest or they open the doors themselves when I
forget to lock the inner one

JayDee's Proud-Haus Shepherds/Proud K911
www.jaydeesphs.com
Committed to the Total Dog you can be Proud of!!!
AKC Breeder of Merit

http://showgsd.org/mail.html