[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Scam

  • From: "Adrian & Marilyn" <sgarbossa@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 22:04:11 -0400

Regarding the "Doctor" who wants to buy a puppy with payment through Western
Union and then have an "agent" pick up the puppy...this is definitely a
scam.  I ran into the exact same situation when I tried to sell a musical
instrument.  I advertized on a local web site run by a small music
association  (I think these guys scan web sites to find unsuspecting people
who are selling things).  They sounded very sincere and interested.  They
sent me a cheque for 4X the value of the instrument.  They said that they
wanted to be sure to cover the expenses for shipping it.  I was to send them
back the difference between how much I was asking for the instrument and the
cost of shipping. Everything was to happen very quickly because their client
was in a hurry to get the new instrument. Had I sent the money, I would have
lost about $3000.00!  My husband caught on quicker than I did and we
reported them to the police. The addresses they had supplied were all bogus.
I didn't send the money and never heard from them again.

Marilyn

        #1:     From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                Subject: anyone in the bumper sticker business?
        #2:     From: "Joan Fox" <campaignersgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
                Subject: Re: Responsibility of stud dog owners
        #3:     From: "glenwood" <glenwood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                Subject: scam?
        #4:     From: "Kathy Tank" <rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx>
        #5:     From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
                Subject: Re: Non-GSD club question

Msg: #1 in digest
From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 13:32:19 -0400

We need bumper stickers that read:

PETA is to dogs what the Black Death was to Europe

------------------------------

Msg: #2 in digest
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 13:29:55 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
From: "Joan Fox" <campaignersgsd@xxxxxxxxx>

When it comes to hips or elbows sure we all want numbers on our dogs but
lets consider a few facts:
What if the best dog is the only one in the litter with a number?
What if the best dog is the only one without a number?
What if the best dog does not have a number due to  injury?
Which one should you breed to?

Nothing is black and white in breeding and number #1 is temperament.

Joan

From: "glenwood" <glenwood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 13:36:59 -0400

<<<<<<<
Hello,
     Thanks a lot for the response.I do appreciate it a lot and i am using
this medium to let you know that i am satisfied with all the infos that i
have got as regards to the puppies. I am a Doctor and i am interested in
this purchase for my family as we are moving into a new home that have a
fenced yard.I will be buying one male and i am also okay with the amount i
am to pay.
    I will like to get this all done as soon as we can because there is need
for the puppy as we move to our new home.The mode of payment will be via a
certified check and i will like you to please send me your full
details(NAME,ADDRESS,PHONE NUMBER) so the check can be processed and sent to
you as soon as possible and we can complete this transaction. The shipping
will be handled by an agent as they will come over to pick it up. We will be
including the shipping fees in the check to be sent to you and all you need
do is to get the check cashed and deduct the amount for the puppy and please
send the excess funds through the Western Union Telegram to the agent whose
information i will let you have in due time(by the time you are getting the
check).Western Union is to be used because it's the agent's preferred mode
of payment and they will move no inch if they do not get the funds.So,it is
of importance that you help get this done as soon as you have the payment
with you so ple  ase check if there is any close western union outlet to you
or Money Gram outlet.
      I also want you to please let me know the days/time you are available
so they can schedule their pick up to be around that time.I really hope to
read back from you with the necessary details as soon as possible today.
Best Regards,
Richard>>>>>>>> end email
has anyone else received this email?
We think its a scam.  let us know privately.
thanks.
From the sunny Nature Coast of Florida
Sue and Glenn Sherwood
See us on the web at http://www.germanshepherdsrus.com Email
glenwood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

------------------------------

Msg: #4 in digest
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 10:39:57 -0700
From: "Kathy Tank" <rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx>

Any health testing, is a tool.  It is not (speaking of orthopedics here ,
ok?) a guarantee of future orthopedic health in successive generations.
There are PLENTY of dysplatic litters/ puppies bred from parents that OFA
Good or Xint.
Surprise, surprise.
There are PLENTY of normal or better OFA puppies that come from parents that
have a lack of a number for whatever reason.  It is about information, and
using it wisely.  It is about what you are willing to accept, or can
reasonably
work away from.   When we look at a stud dog to bring in to our program, it
is just that...a dog for OUR program.  We do not set out to bring in a dog,
with the express purpose of public stud.  If people want to use our
dogs...great!  If not, it is not a problem, because we have these dogs for
the benefit of our kennel....not everyone else's.
Again until the OFA/ OVC/ or SV can give me a GUARANTEE that Mr. or Miss
Fabulous with XINT numbers , bred to another certified dog, absolutely will
NOT produce orthopedic problems...it is still nothing but a tool Just our
opinion and ideas...but we would NEVER throw out an outstanding individual
because of a number, or not.

Kathy Tank

http://www.victorygermanshepherds.com
Home of :
CH. Elvaston's Nations Cup TC, 26 BOBs
CH. Victory's Leviathan
CH. Garter's E-Male of Fran-Jo Anne Isle

WEBSITE PUP-DATED SEPT 14, 2008

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 10:25 AM, Jessica MacMillan
<spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Here's something I noticed. Coming out of a breed where the dogs live
> a long time (standardly 10 - 12 years for the boys and often 14-15 for
> girls), it was a real shock coming into this breed and seeing so many
> of the "prominent" stud dogs die at 6, 7, 8 years of age... Quite a
surprise.

> Now I understand that many of these dogs died from unpreventable
> situations (in overheated vehicles, bloat, etc), but by testing aren't
> we giving an optimum chance to PREVENT an issue down the line? Or
> shouldn't we try to avoid incorporating a known health problem into
> our pedigrees (you have clean hips, breed to a dog who is not OFA'd to
> find out later he is dysplastic). How do you explain this to puppy
> buyers, both pet owners and the show person who bought their foundation
bitch from you?

> In a breed where the genepool is limited, I understand keeping the
> fair or dysplatic dogs in (Otterhounds, perfect example, almost all are
dysplastic).
> But why in GSDs? Or is it now because the gene pool and the popular
> sire effect are so prominent that there are sacrifices made in order
> to go outside the breeding program?
>
> Just some thoughts and questions :-)
> Jess M.Paisley Dals (www.paisleydals.com)& The Shepherd Girls (Simmie,
> CGC, TDI, TC, HIC & Pepper, HIC)Member of: DCA, GSDCA & GTCDC
> Get more out of the Web. Learn 10 hidden secrets of Windows Live.
>
> http://windowslive.com/connect/post/jamiethomson.spaces.live.com-Blog-
> cns!550F681DAD532637!5295.entry?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_domore_092008<http:/
> /windowslive.com/connect/post/jamiethomson.spaces.live.com-Blog-cns%21
> 550F681DAD532637%215295.entry?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_domore_092008>

> ====== POST is Copyrighted 2007.  All material remains the property of
> the original author and of GSD Communication, Inc. NO REPRODUCTIONS or
>
> ALL PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT THE FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION OR USE IN
> ANY MANNER OF ANY MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE
> EXPRESS PERMISSION OF ALL PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT
> IS EXPRESSLY FORBIDDEN, AND IS A VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS OF THIS
> PROHIBITION WILL BE PROSECUTED.

> VISIT OUR WEBSITE - www.showgsd.org

> ======

------------------------------

Msg: #5 in digest
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 13:40:18 -0400
From: grnram415@xxxxxxx

Thank you to everyone who answered my question.? I mentioned Robert's rules
to them and sure enough, I saw that referenced in a post this morning.? So,
I guess it is covered and the Board will act accordingly.? They are looking
for a replacement so I will hopefully be off the hook :-) Laura

End of showgsd-l Digest V2 #2309