[ SHOWGSD-L ] Sander's Book

  • From: Shofar Shepherds <shofar_k9s@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 11:04:26 -0800 (PST)

It is with great pleasure and with permission of our admin, that I announce the
"birth" of Sander's Book, the Education of a Dog Owner, written by a dear
friend, Connie Burnet. It is an extremely well-written, self-published "little"
book that tells a big story.
In 1998, Connie's petstore Sheltie, seven-year-old Sander, was diagnosed with
cancer in the form of a malignent oral tumor.  The vets offered no hope, and
only a few more months of life. Connie made it her goal to provide Sander with
the highest quality of life for whatever time he had left, a life that she was
determined would be free of conventional cancer treatments.

Sander's Book is the story of the next seven-plus years of Sander's life.  It
was a life that was happy and full of accomplishments. He died just short of 15
years of age, and it wasn't the cancer that killed him.

The book includes chapters on cancer treatment, vaccinations, pest control,
diet and nutrition, arthritis and chiropractic, veterinarians and veterinary
medicine, learning from dogs, and death and dying. Yet is is not at all
preachy. It is Connie's story, and Sander's, and what worked for them, with
lots of citations if someone wanted to investigate these topics for themselves.

I met Sander when Connie decided that she didn't want me to ship the puppy I
was placing with her. Instead, she bought me a round-trip ticket from LIttle
Rock to Chicago, and had me bring the puppy under my plane seat. I can confirm
what Connie says in her book: if you didn't know Sander had cancer, you'd never
guess it. He was a little rickety and creaky, but totally "there". His coat was
full and glistening, his eyes bright and alert . We all went walking together,
and the world was Sander's milk bone...er....salmon treat. <G> I could tell
that he was one of those "special" dogs.  You know what I mean. If we've been
fortunate we've had one or more of them in our lives.

The book is illustrated with color photos of Sander and is printed in an
easy-to-read spiral-bound format, or it can be downloaded from the cinnamondog
website.  The price is $12 plus shipping.

All profits from the sale of Sander¢s Book are donated to dog causes and
charities. Neither Connie nor I stand to profit in any monitary form from this
book.  I just thought it might be of interest to some on this list.

For more information, check out the website:  www.CinnamonDog.com  and go to
the Book About Sander link on the left.

Leslye Morrow
Member GSDCA