[ SHOWGSD-L ] Sad news

  • From: tsaligsds@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 19:50:00 +0000

>THE AKC AND AKC/CHF MOURN THE LOSS OF DR. ASA MAYS
>
>-- A True Gentleman in the Sport of Purebred Dogs --
>
>New York, NY - The American Kennel Club and the sport of purebred dogs lost a
life-long fancier, esteemed judge, and three-term AKC Board member with the
passing of Asa Mays, DVM. The AKC extends its sympathies to his family and
friends for we know this gentleman of the fancy will be sorely missed for his
wealth of knowledge, personal commitment, and contributions to the world of
purebred dogs.

>Dr. Mays, 67, died on August 10, 2005 at his home in Duluth, Georgia with his
wife Karen and son Mark by his side. He was the AKC Delegate for the Hutchinson
Kennel Club, a founding Board member of the AKC Canine Health Foundation, and
served as a Board member of the National Animal Interest Alliance.

>Active in the sport of purebred dogs for more than 35 years, Dr. Mays along
with his wife first joined the fancy in 1968, showing a Borzoi and a Saluki.
His
involvement in purebred dogs extended to showing Dachshunds and Beagles under
the kennel name Zencor. Several of his dogs ranked in the Top 10 of their
breed.
His love for dogs was instilled during his childhood in Ohio where dogs were
always part of the family.

>"Asa was a friend for more than 30 years," says AKC President and CEO Dennis
Sprung. "He was one of the true gentlemen in the fancy. He was kind and giving
but also wasn't afraid to speak his mind. He was a popular judge yet always
remained a student of dogs always willing to learn something new."

>"Asa will leave a huge void - we will miss his expertise on the Grants
Committee, his enthusiasm, and the leadership he brought to the Canine Health
Foundation board," says Wayne Ferguson, President of the AKC/CHF.  "Asa was a
close personal friend and Karen is like a sister to us all.  We are all
saddened
by his death."

>Dr. Mays served in numerous top positions for several dog clubs, including the
Dachshund Club of America, throughout the United States. He was also a life
member, president, and AKC Delegate of the Borzoi Club of America, regional
director of the American Saluki Association, and life member, show chairman and
AKC Delegate from the Somerset Hills Kennel Club. He also served as president
and show chairman of the Bloomington, Indiana Kennel Club and was a founding
member of the Central New Jersey Hound Association.

>As an AKC judge, he was approved for all sporting, hound and working breeds
>and
officiated in nearly every state, as well as Canada, Australia, Sweden, Spain,
Venezuela, and Costa Rica.  He also judged sporting breeds at the 2003
AKC/Eukanuba National Championship.

>Dr. Mays was a popular writer on canine veterinary matters.  His work appeared
regularly in the AKC Gazette, The Gazehound, and Popular Dogs.  He co-authored
the Borzoi and Saluki chapters in the book "Genetic Aspects of Purebred Dogs"
and was the veterinary editor of "The Samoyed Book" and the "German Shepherd
Book."  He also served for 15 years as the Associate Editor of the Merck
Veterinary Manual.

>Dr. Mays earned degrees in anthropology and veterinary medicine from Ohio
>State
University and a master's of medical science degree in immunology from Tulane
University. He was a Diplomate of the American College of Laboratory Animal
Medicine, director of Laboratory Animal Medicine at Indiana University, and
served as a manager of strategic bio-informatics for an animal health
pharmaceutical manufacturer.
He was also a long time member of the Lawrenceville KC in Georgia.

Suzanne
www.tsalishepherds.com
Home of Ch Firedog, Ch Cookie, Ch Flair, BIS/BISS Ch Yancy, Ch Flash, and Lil'
Miss Dancer!! Website updated 11/04