[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: SUPER SIZE-IS THE IDEAL BEING PENALIZED?

  • From: gsd0110@xxxxxxx
  • To: caggra@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 10:34:07 -0400

Jeff,
As you know I had Sel Ch Gonvi Ruklakar's Cash and no one bred to the dog (even
though he was a 3/4 brother to Manny) because they said, "He isn't enough dog
for me..." He was 25 inches tall.??

We (Todd, Frank and I) ?also have Hoss (Ch Yankee of Fran-Jo) who is just a
shade over 26 inches tall and has fantastic bone and substance.... But when he
is in the ring with males as tall as he is he looks enormous because in
condition he weighs 94 lbs... so unless we are going to start with the wicket
there is really no way to tell EXACTLY how tall a dog is....

Everyone guessed my JJ dog (Sel Jake x Ponca Hill's Krista of Fran-Jo) to be 30
inches tall... He was 27 1/4 inches... I measured him standing on the table
MANY times always the same and he was standing head up and I was measuring to
the HIGH point of the wither.... so what I think is that dogs with alot of bone
and substance are sometimes penalized for being too tall when in fact they are
not!

I think that movement should be the main criteria for whether a dog is too
big.... is he is klutzy... he is too big if he moves correctly with a good
shoulder and DRIVING off his rear.... He isn't too big for me... The standard
gives us a guideline.... Can GSD's be too big?? Of course they can; but they
can also?have too little?bone and substance....?a problem faced by many of our
dogs today...

I personally like bitches at the upper end of the standard with alot of bone
and substance because they are the ones who produce big handsome masculine
males.? I also recognize that we can't just keep breeding them bigger and
bigger... I once asked the question: Are GSD's in general bigger than they have
been in the past....(if they are we have a size problem; if not there is no
problem) ?I have had a GSD since I was 11 months old and I am now 53 years
old.... I don't remember them ever being smaller than they are today but some
people may... It just isn't a memory that I have... LOL

Gary Lewis