[ SHOWGSD-L ] Refunding money/ bending over backwards

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 09:01:53 EDT

Cheri's recent post about the unfortunate situation that has come up re one
of her puppy buyers brings up a few more thoughts.

I remember years ago, a friend of mine taking a puppy back and refunding
money, and remarking that wasn't something I would have done.  It was   a weird
situation, nothing wrong w/ the pup, the folks found out they were  pregnant
months after taking the puppy and decided the timing for a young GSD  was
wrong.
Legally, the breeder didn't have to do anything and my line of  thought was
that if folks were trying to have a family and made the decision to  take on a
puppy they would/should have thought about it...(I remember thinking  at the
time that I probably would have taken the bitch back, placed her and  refunded
whatever I sold her for, less maybe expenses).

I remember the breeder's comment  as she cheerfully refunded the  entire
purchase price; "not worth the aggravation."

Today, more than ever, uncomfortable, unsatisfied puppy people just aren't
worth the aggravation.  You all know when people aren't happy, they want it
fixed and they want it fixed YESTERDAY.  It may be understandable, it may  be
way off base, but it's not a far stretch from unhappy and upset to phone
calls,
a letter writing campaign, complaints and authorities responding to the  same.

Of course, there is the argument that if folks aren't happy, it's a bad  sign
of things to come for the puppy, so you get them out of there anyway...and
that's a VALID argument.

So, bottom line, now more than ever protect yourself (my vet comes at 5  & 8
weeks, people are given complete, written copies of vet records and a  written
health cert), but realize that on occasion, IF there's a fly in the
ointment, far better to smile, write a check for a full refund and bend  over
backwards than deal w/ complaints to your AG (they write and enforce puppy
lemon
laws) and aggravation.

With all of the uproar re PAWS, PETA, pending legislation and all the rest,
IMO, an unsatisfied puppy person on a letter writing and/or phone call
campaign  will have a more immediate, personal and lasting impact on an
individual
breeder  and at ALL costs, that situation, an escalation of bad feelings,
should
be  avoided.

Kathy
three generations of Dual Titled Champions  live here!
visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_