[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Rally titles

  • From: SUSAN SULLIVAN <susan-sullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 16:01:10 -0800 (PST)

Kim,
Rally does not require the precision nor the level of training a CD requires.
It also allows you to talk to your dog and does not require distance work.  If
it takes a year to earn a Rally Novice than something is terribly wrong with
the picture.  Quite frankly having an HT or PT count is just as ludicrious.  It
shows very little talent, trainability and time to pass either.  And as a very
olong time herding exhibitor and judge...PT is easier than HT. What it does
show is a talented handler who reads stock well and very easy livestock.  My
students do put PTs on their dogs but it is for them not the dog.  I will also
use Rally as a fun thing to do but is it really testing the trainability, and
the ability of the dog to handle the stress of competition and training,
absolutely not. As  I stated it is somewhere between a CGC and a CD or NA, not
comprable to a CGC but slightly above.  Certainly no where near the level of
training a Sch 1 or Cd,  HS, TD or NA/NAJ are.
ARe there enough AOE with HT?  YES!  This should be a big Deal achievement and
truly demonstrate the working ability of our selects. To be honest I think we
should have a time table to actually raise the bar to encourage higher titles.
Our dogs are only limited by what their owners are willing to do with them.  In
order to really fight the negativity promoted by the German marketing the dogs
need to start to perform on a level with titles to prove they are as good or
better.
Susan

Here's a first - I disagree with Julie on something! LOL I think
Rally titles *should* count toward dual titles and AOE and here's why:
First, they are not totally no-brainers, they do require training as
a dog that can't heel won't title in Rally. It doesn't have to be
precision heeling, but it does have to be a reasonable facsimile. And
a dog has to be socialized enough to handle the proximity of dogs of
all sizes, crazy indoor venue noises, etc. Second, it's a great
incentive for people to get their champions and Selects out to do
something more and yes, it may even encourage people to continue
toward a CD or agility titles. Third, I want people with other breeds
to see our Best GSDs showing that they can work! I want them to see
pretty GSDs: "OUR" GSDs; and after all this talk about the better
marketing that the European GSDs have, here's an option for us.
Fourth, yes the qualifying rate for the 1st weekend of Rally was very
high = but these were people who had been doing non-qualifying Rally
or who had been working all year toward the start of the sport. Like
any dog event, courses will get harder, judging somewhat more
critical, and people who don't take it seriously enough will enter and
fail. So my opinion is, yes, let these titles count! Is the worse
thing that can happen is we'll have too many Select Champions with OFA
H/E and TC and Rally Novice titles? Do we have too many with HTs? I
don't think we have too many AOEs period. I am all for anything that
ENCOURAGES participation in performance events and gets our champions
out there.

Kim - Kimberlite

Susan w. Sullivan
Firethorn Farm