[ SHOWGSD-L ] Question for the Board

  • From: "Gail Hardcastle" <hardcastle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 22:48:09 -0700

I am posting this to two lists as I have had conversations today from
members of both...but all members of the GSDCA.

I am the membership elected President of the GSDCA. I am not resigning, I
will run by petition and I will wisely perform the duties of the Presidency.

A week after the last Board meeting in January I got called into the office
and fired from my job for performing "Club Duties" at work. There I stood on
the steps of my part time job at 58 years old with a most uncertain future.
I had mentioned to a co-worker that there was a full time job available in
Washingon. I quickly persued that avenue and got a full time better paying
job at a produce farm. The new employers knew the reason for my release from
my previous job.

To make a long story short, I had double cataract surgery a week into my new
job and now have 20/25 vision without glasses. I had two weeks to work with
the retiring person at the new job and neither of us could see. I had one
good eye and one bad eye and constant nausea for three weeks until the
second surgery. I also learned quickbooks and find it to be a wonderful,
user friendly and easy program.

During the stress of learning a new job and having these procedures, I found
myself unable to return multiple calls to two Board members. Fifteen Board
members did not try to make contact with me. Someone thought I might be dead
and sent the Sheriff to check on me. He checked my previous home and told
her it was vacant!  I love you for caring Nadine.

David called me once and I did not return his call, but I thought highly of
him for trying. Joan called and I answered the phone and she seemed shocked.
She said they were all so worried and I told her that she should have called
sooner.

Despite rumors, I moved two years ago and am well established. I had been
suffering greatly from some sort of back problem and neuropathy since last
May. I am doing great now and I am working up to ten hours to learn all
there is to know about my new position. I have returned calls and emails to
all members. There have been no complaints.

So along comes the Board meeting and I purposely missed my flight because I
could not leave my job that morning. I thought that I could go standby but
could not and could not get into Milwaukee by morning. So what did the Board
do?  Let's see...spent five thousand dollars without Budget and finance
Committee approval. I am the Chairman of Budget and Finance. Appointed
committee chairs with no advance notification. Had an Executive committee
meeting after the meeting without me. I am the Chairman of the Exec
Committee. Signed a contract which I nullified and signed myself. Voted that
people can enter multiple futurities without membership input? Am I reading
this wrong? I hope everyone knows that the two year rule will be imposed.

The most ridiculous action was to send me a letter asking me to poop or get
off the pot, and no it was not kind. I would have said "While we are sorry
for what you have been going through, Gail..."  Those that knew what I was
experiencing stress wise did not share those facts with others on the Board.

Anyway...I am here. I am the President and cheerfully will perform those
duties as I am made aware of them. The Board has no right to give me an
ultimatum. I can only be removed by the members that elected me. The
nominating committee had no reason to withdraw my name.

My cell phone number is 541-490-4203. I can call you back after 6 my time or
in the early morning if I am busy. My address is PO Box 2378, White Salmon,
WA 98672. My street address is 241 NE Scenic Street, White Salmon. Please
call with any concerns. We will continue to work together for the good of
the German Shepherd Dog, the Regional Clubs and our members -- and we will
do it with love and compassion.

Looking forward to seeing you all in Ohio for the greatest show and yearly
reunion on earth.

Gail
President GSDCA