[ SHOWGSD-L ] Puppy Buyers and Sellers

  • From: MAJTEACH@xxxxxxx
  • To: arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 12:29:23 EST

In a message dated 12/19/2005 8:53:37 AM Pacific Standard Time,
arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I don't  think too many people are born knowing the proper way to purchase a
puppy or  handle the grief of losing a beloved pet, I know I  wasn't

Some common sense on the list????  Grief is a very private thing, and
loosing a pet affects people in different ways.  My parents bought a German
Shepherd from an ad in the newspaper, as I have done in the past.  Through  the
purchase of that dog, we met Erich Renner (sorry if is misspelled this
wonderful
man's name) and bought two dogs from him.  One we gave away  because he was
rather shy and fell in love with someone working on the  house.  He was my dog,
but I could never get him to go in the car and he  simply adored this man.
When the contractor asked to have him, this car  sick puppy jumped into his car
and never looked back.  The other had to be  put down as he was overly
aggressive and attacked my colt.  No one can say  that Erich was not a
reputable
breeder.  S*** happens.

My response to an ad got me a dog from the Newsoms.  I loved him to  pieces,
but he had health issues.  The next dog I got from them was my  beloved Greta.
 I lost her at two and still have problems dealing with her  loss.  Could I
have done more to save her?  Should I have been more  forceful with early
testing?  Should I have stayed with her at the hospital  for the last two weeks
of
her life?  I will never forgive myself for  loosing her.

My point is, buying (and selling) a puppy is a crapshoot.  Folks that  sold
ME a puppy never had a worry about a puppy I took home with me.   lol

We ALL try our best to make sure our puppies are healthy.  While we  breed
for the showring, most of our puppies our going to companion homes and  health
must be a priority, not "showability."  IMHO

I would be very interested in some sort of a sellers seminar.  What to  look
for, how to screen, different types of questionnaires (if used), home  visits?
  It is all a part of educating ourselves.

Colette