[ SHOWGSD-L ] Proposed new AKC Standard approved

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "ELG440@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 11:34:09 -0400

OK, great. Now we can all start to pick apart the changes.

I, with all the intrepid nerve I possess, will begin.

I will start with the eyes.  "As dark as possible".  Well, every  dog I
have ever bred or shown has eyes as dark as possible for that dog.

Now, I assume that means we can't color the eyes, so if a dog has yellow
eyes, but that is as dark as possible for that dog, that is within the
standard.

 Shouldn't we say dark eyes is preferred. or black or brown is  acceptable?
 I think saying as dark as possible will allow everyone to just  say that
whatever they show, is within the standard.  If that is what our  board wants
for us, I am perfectly willing to go along with it.

Blues, livers, whites, those things can work themselves out.

 What was the movie with Billie Crystal and Debra Winger who were  talking
about marriage and discussed how to squeeze the toothpaste from the  middle
or the top, and how to open the windows at night?  After that, stuff  like
religion and kids would work itself out.  Great movie.

Bring on the Blues, the Livers and the Whites. Let the judges decide.

The eyes have it.

How picky can we get. Let's all try our best.

Evan

In a message dated 7/30/2014 6:20:04 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
lindabankhead44@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Good  Morning,

The AKC Board approved the revised proposed revisions to  the GSDC standard
allowing the GSDCA to ballot the  membership.

The ballots sent to the members would include the  proposed revision.

The revised verbiage is  below.

Should you have any additional questions, please do not  hesitate to contact
me.

Sincerely,

Mari-Beth  O'Neill

Head

The head is noble, cleanly chiseled, strong  without coarseness, but above
all not fine, and in proportion to the body.  The head of the male is
distinctly masculine, and that of the bitch  distinctly feminine.

The expression keen, intelligent and  composed. Eyes of medium size, almond
shaped, set a little obliquely and  not protruding. The color is as dark as
possible. Ears are moderately  pointed, in proportion to the skull, open
toward the front, and carried  erect when at attention, the ideal carriage
being one in which the center  lines of the ears, viewed from the front, are
parallel to each other and  perpendicular to the ground. A dog with cropped
or hanging ears must be  disqualified.

Seen from the front the forehead is only  moderately arched, and the skull
slopes into the long, wedge-shaped muzzle  without abrupt stop. The muzzle
is long and strong, and its topline is  parallel to the topline of the
skull.   Nose Black.  A dog  with a nose that is not predominantly black is
to be seriously faulted. The  lips are firmly fitted. Jaws are strongly
developed. Teeth --42 in  number--20 upper and 22 lower--are strongly
developed and meet in a  scissors bite in which part of the inner surface of
the upper incisors meet  and engage part of the outer surface of the lower
incisors. An overshot jaw  or a level bite is undesirable. An undershot jaw
is a disqualifying fault.  Complete dentition is to be preferred. Any
missing teeth other than first  premolars is a serious fault.

Coat

The ideal dog  has a double coat of medium length; a long coat is also
permissible.   The outer coat should be as dense as possible, hair straight,
harsh and  lying close to the body. A slightly wavy outer coat, often of
wiry texture,  is permissible. The head, including the inner ear and
foreface, and the  legs and paws are covered with short hair, and the neck
with longer and  thicker hair. The rear of the forelegs and hind legs has
somewhat longer  hair extending to the pastern and hock, respectively.
Faults in coat:   soft, silky, curly, open coat and lack of  undercoat.

Color

The German Shepherd Dog varies  in color, and most colors are permissible.
Strong rich colors are  preferred.  Liver, blues, whites and dogs without
predominantly black  noses are very serious faults.  Dogs exhibiting albino
characteristics  are to be  disqualified.

Disqualifications

Cropped or  hanging ears

Undershot jaw

Docked tail