[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Problems...munchkins

  • From: "L. Hartten" <hartten@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 10:33:13 -0700

On 12/6/07 7:20 AM, Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx wrote:

> In a message dated 12/5/2007 11:09:27 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> sally@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> > That  being said Nothing scares me more at a show then visitors that
> > bring their  kids for the day and do not keep them under control . It scares
> > me because  of what could happen not only to the child but to  the dog also
>

> My favorite was when I was shopping at a vendor and an out of control
> youngster was into EVERYTHING, opening bottles, dumping chalk, removing
> wrappers
> from things, stepping on feet/tails, knocking toy displays to the floor....
> all
> while the mom was oblivious....he ran right up into JR's face, looked  at me
> and asked "do he bite?"...
  This reminds me of a story ... 12-13 years ago, my then-husband & I
were starting to look into buying our first house and therefore also
doing research into dog breeds and dog breeders.  We wanted dogs and
kids, but figured the logical order was house & yard; dogs; kids.). We'd
settled on German Shepherds & English Setters by then, I think.  A
now-demolished mall in the Denver Metro area, Villa Italia, had a "meet
the dog breeds" event one weekend, with many rescue groups, breed clubs,
and individual breeders staffing booths.  We went.

  Kathy Howse and Susan Shields had a booth set up with a couple of
their dogs, including Ch. U-CDX Starrays Shere-Kahn CDX, TC, TDI, CGC.
I grew up with GSD bitches and really preferred their look, but I had to
admit Shere-Kahn was a beautiful masculine boy.  Anyway, we were talking
to Kathy & Susan about their breeding philosophy, the things they did
with their dogs, etc., when a gaggle of about 6 youngsters (toddlers
through maybe 5-year-olds) came tearing down the mall and glommed onto
Shere-Kahn, yelling and petting and hugging and squealing.  Shere-Kahn
stood like a rock, only turning his head a bit to look at Kathy & Susan
with a sort of pained, "do you think you could please get them off of
me?" look.

  Steve & I decided right then and there that we wanted one of HIS
puppies, no matter how long the wait was.  And about a year or so later
we were so blessed, to bring home Sebago, another big beautiful solid boy.

  So, to the discerning dog person, a flock of kids can provide the
ultimate Temperament Test :)

Cheers,
  Leslie
--
Leslie M. Hartten                web: http://spot.colorado.edu/~hartten
Indi (TerraNorte's Midnight Indigo, German Shepherd Dog)  &  Brittany