[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Palatable and Nourishing Foods

  • From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arelee_1020@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 09:29:06 -0400

I just wanted to say, in response to Iza and Beryl's comments about
Connie and the oatmeal..I believe that .the oatmeal Connie bought (and
probably Iza, too) was
rolled oats...not the kind of "powdery" oatmeal most of us are familiar
with.

 Rolled means the oat grains (kernels, I call them) were basically just
cracked...not pounded into almost a powder...
   the alternative to buying rolled oats is buying the whole grain and
rolling your own...........  It is actually just passing the whole corn
kernels
through this big heavy thing that looks like a really big wringer on an
old time washing machine.........they go in one side whole, and come
out the other side somewhat flattened and cracked.
.many old time kennels did that, not just in North America but in
Europe, too...........also the hound kennels at hunt clubs did it...they
also had a huge "cooker"
where huge pieces of meat (won't say what it was, tho) were cooked,
including the bones, down into a soupy mix....that cooker went on for a
day or two, and
the end result was much the way meat would be coming out of a pressure
cooker...meaning the bones were gruel-like and no longer a danger...
     If you can find rolled oats, or do your own, they're still a great
way to feed dogs...........
 Peggy