[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: PLEASE READ--regarding showing GSD-question-

  • From: Sheri Chambers <paravelgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 14:51:47 -0600

It really is a tough question in that it all depends...
It depends on the venue, all breed or specialty
If ring trained, and very typey and pretty could finish within a few months of
shows. I had a typey black/tan male that finished in 6 shows. He started
winning around 18 months and finished before he turned 2. I find that most all
breed judges tend to pick their winners from the Am Bred and Open class. Thats
why I say there are so many variables, the age of the dog, the maturity, how
well they show in the ring, etc...
If you have a good one they should be able to finish within a year, how much
money you spend is really hard to pinpoint. If you have good judges and a big
enough entry to get majors you could finish quickly. If you are in an area
where you can only muster up 1-2 points per show it will take longer. Right
now I am showing 2 young dogs so it will cost more to finish as they are being
"trained" while shown. I had a bitch that a friend showed and she finished at
just over 2 years, having won a major at 14 months. She only cost me a couple
of thousand to finish as my friend didn't charge me. I'm going to guess and say
that if you are using a professional handler and have a dog that is ready to
win (maturity and type and temperament) you can do it for under $5000. That
includes entry fees and travel costs. But time wise you have to remember dogs
blow coat, my male that finished fast won at 18 months then promptly blew coat
and wasn't shown again until he was back in coat. He then finished in a span of
3 months and 3 weekends of shows. The young boys that I have right now are only
14 months of age, I have shown one at 10 shows so far, he has 8 RWD and 1 BOW
for 2 points. In only 1 show was a younger dog put up for the points, the rest
were from Open or Am Bred class. Years ago I had a male that was a really
handsome Blk/red from the Brentaryl kennel. It took me a couple of years and a
lot of money to finish him, mostly because he kept coming up with ways NOT to
win! LOL! There are some of those. I don't know if this answers your questions
but it really is hard to pinpoint exact numbers. If you are wanting advice on
how to save money in showing then I would say let the dog mature and bring them
out when they are in the best condition they can be in. I like to get the young
ones out to learn what showing is about, then let them mature.

Sheri
Paravelgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx

From: dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 16:03:43 -0400
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] PLEASE READ--regarding showing GSD-question-
To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello again-
Referring to the copied post below my signature--

I posted this last week-but got ONLY ONE response--and that was from a
personal friend who is a lister. I thought this was what the list was
about, showing and talking about all the venues of how/what/why/ etc--

This is why I RARELY post to the list. Noone even bothers to answer
me.

I guess I am a bit Disgusted, and maybe a bit hurt-why did I not get any
answers??

Cheri
Hunt
CHERADON SHEPHERDS
Home of 2013 Best
In Maturity Cheradon's Jingle Bell Rock !!
Home of LasLar's Captain Jack
Sparrow, OFA Good H&E, 2nd Jr. dog 2013 NE Maturity
Home of some of the most gorgeous German Shepherds
in the World !
Cheradon Shepherds
Home Page

This is the post from last week that no one answered:

Hello to all,
I have a friend who I am trying to talk into showing her bitch.

Assuming that this bitch is a typy black and reddish tan OR perhaps a nice
dark sable, pretty, nice coat, gorgeous mover, great temperament, ring
trained-----------------and will be shown with a known handler--

I would like for as many as possible of you listers out there to give me
your opinion of :

1. What is the AVERAGE length of time you should expect to finish this
bitch. ( I know there are many variables here is why I said AVERAGE length of
time) how many months/years??

2. HOW MANY SHOWS should it take--(assuming all breed mostly-perhaps
a few specialty)

Can some of you tell me (and you dont have to mention the dogs name if you
dont want to) some of the dogs you have finished-how many shows it took
and what was the length of time??

THANKS MUCH for your info. I am looking for OPINIONS here
please.