[ SHOWGSD-L ] PAWS Response from MO Senator Talent

  • From: LEWIEB@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 16:02:42 EDT

Just received this email from Jim Talent, Senator from Missouri.  Makes me
glad that I supported him with my vote.
Lew

Dear Mr. Bunch:

      Thank you for contacting me to voice your concerns

regarding the Pet Animal Welfare Statute introduced by Senator

Rick Santorum.  I appreciate the time you have taken to share your

views with me, and I apologize for the delay in my response.

      I am concerned that this legislation advances such a broad

definition of "puppy mills" that it includes many responsible dog

breeders.  This is yet another area where what we need is more

vigorous and balanced enforcement of current law so that the

government can stop abuse without burdening the legitimate and

honest kennel owners.

      Of course it is wrong to abuse animals.  As a member of the

Missouri legislature, I supported animal welfare legislation, but

this does not mean I support the concept of animal "rights" or the

goals of the animal "rights" movement.  On the contrary, I think

that their insistence that we treat animals the same as humans

damages both human and animal welfare.

      Again, thank you for contacting me.  If I may be of further

assistance, please don't hesitate to call or write.

Thank you for your email. To contact me on this or any other subject, please
go

to http://talent.senate.gov/Contact/default.cfm

Sincerely,

Senator Jim Talent