[ SHOWGSD-L ] PAWS: It ain't over until it's over!

  • From: RihadinK9@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 17:35:35 EST

TX-RPOA E-News
From Responsible Pet Owners Alliance,
the reasonable  voice regarding animal issues in Texas.
Responsible Pet Owners Alliance is an  animal welfare organization,
not "animal rights" and, yes, there is a  difference.
Permission granted to crosspost.
Since the November  Hearing on PAWS held by Senator Rick Santorum, the Sussex
Spaniel Club of  America, the Newfoundland Club of America, the Silky Terrier
Club of America and  the American Foxhound Club of America have voted to
oppose PAWS.  The  American Foxhound Club of America is the 45th parent club
and the 460th  club/organization on the opposition list.  HSUS is calling the
opposition  "dog fighters!"  (See remarks below)

Opposition continues to grow to  PAWS which is a two-year bill.  We must not
let up. Two very effective ads  opposing PAWS were placed in the Capitol Hill
political newspaper Roll Call on  November 8th and may be read at the URLs
below.  Responsible Pet Owners  Alliance of Texas can be found among those
listed
prominently in  opposition.

_http://www.ncraoa.com/PDF/SAOVA_Ad%20Roll%20Call%20Logo.pdf_
(http://www.ncraoa.com/PDF/SAOVA_Ad%20Roll%20Call%20Logo.pdf)

_http://www.cfa.org/exhibitors/ad-SB1139-HR2269.pdf_
(http://www.cfa.org/exhibitors/ad-SB1139-HR2269.pdf)

A complete list of clubs opposing PAWS and more information is on the  North
Carolina Responsible Animal Owners Assoc. website:
_http://www.ncraoa.com/alerts.html_ (http://www.ncraoa.com/alerts.html)

PAWS changes the intent of the Animal Welfare Act to apply to homebased
breeders and rescuers of dogs and cats - not just commercial breeders of dogs
as
it is now.  Numbers aren't relevant as they can be changed anytime. The
important issue is the change regarding "intent" which is what Humane Society
of
the US, PETA and Doris Day Animal League have wanted for many years.  They  are
salivating over passage of PAWS.  Rumored forthcoming
revisions  won't change this fact.

NCRAOA Editorial -
PAWS Hearing and the Birth  of PAWS II:
"Senator Rick Santorum held his one-sided hearing for PAWS on  November 8th.
Only PAWS supporters were permitted to speak, ten of eleven  subcommittee
members didn't make an appearance and the staff interfered with  bill
opponents'
efforts to tell their story to the press covering the hearing.  Our Roll Call
full page advertisement was the talk of the Capitol Hill. Rick  Santorum
alluded to it in his opening statement and AKC personnel  were
visibly upset. The very talented Nick Van Duren drew two  special
illustrations for our use and the gagged animals magnificently made  our
point regarding the closed hearing. Thank you to the many financial donors  who
made insertion in the ~30,000 circulation Capitol Hill political newspaper
Roll
Call possible.

The Cat Fanciers Association (CFA) in a joint effort  representing several
animal groups also placed a Roll Call ad on the morning of  the hearing. We
extend our thanks to all who contributed to make certain our  voice was heard
loud
and clear on the Hill that day."

From Joan Miller,  the Cat Fanciers' Association:
"Part of the effort to build awareness was a  full page ad in â??Roll Callâ??,
published on November 8th.  Roll Call is the  top media choice of Members of
Congress surpassing the Washington Post, C-SPAN,  CNN and the Wall Street
Journal.  Our striking ad with cats, birds, a  ferret and dog was well received
in
the Senatorâ??s offices."

Wayne  Pacelle, President Humane Society of the United States, testified at
the  hearing:
"The PAWS legislation is the product of input from a variety of  groups with
a broad range of interests in the welfare of dogs,
including  animal welfare, veterinary, and breed enthusiast clubs. I must
note that DOG  FIGHTERS have been among those working most diligently and
persistently against  the bill, as demonstrated by the traffic on several of
their
websites.  Dogfighters masquerade as legitimate breeders, but are themselves
involved in  the vicious and despicable business of selling animals for
fighting
ventures."

Responsible Pet Owners Alliance
900 NE Loop 410   #205-D
San Antonio, TX  78209
Phone:  (210)  822-6763
Fax:  (210) 822-9038
E-mail:   rpoa@xxxxxxxxx
Website:  _http://www.responsiblepetowners.org_
(http://www.responsiblepetowners.org)

Ginger  Cleary, Rome, GA
"A rumor without a leg to stand on will  get around some other way." John
Tudor
_http://www.rihadin.com_ (http://www.rihadin.com/)