[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Oatmeal Bath

  • From: ORSuite@xxxxxxx
  • To: gailbauman@xxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 22:44:44 EDT

In a message dated 8/19/2006 4:56:35 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
gailbauman@xxxxxx writes:
Wondering if anyone gives their dog oatmeal baths, and how do you do it  or
what product do you use?  How often do you give it to them, and how  many baths
do you give before you notice your dog's skin is not so dry?   Thanks in
advance for any help!!
Gail Bauman

I have used Aveeno.  There is a powder form in the pharmacy  section of the
stores.  I give the baths as often as needed.   If  the dog has lesions, I use
it every other day.  If it is just for itchy  skin, once a week is fine.  I
don't get overly fancy.  I get oatmeal  shampoo from the vet, as well as any
pet
supply place.  These can be used  daily if need be. If you use the human
Aveeno, do be careful as it makes the tub  extremely slippery.  Use a bath mat.
If
it is only dry skin, I use an oil  (corn, vegetable, salmon, fish--any of
them) in their food as a  supplement.  1 to 2 tablespoons is all. Keeps them
from
getting flaky and  itchy.  I'm not sure how you feed, but since I use raw
chicken, they get  extra fats from the meats/skins.  If you don't use raw,
canned
cat food  provides extra oils and fats too, and it is cheap! Don't have to
get fancy with  that either. The fish ones are best, as they also provide extra
antioxidants in  those oils.  I try to keep things simple.

Chris K
"Do Right and  Fear No One" --from the Stephanitz Family  Crest