[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: OT/wolf hybrids (long)

  • From: jeanniemccann@xxxxxxxxx (Jean Mccann)
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 21:11:19 -0600

     I have definitely had some "first hand knowledge" of a wolf hybrid
about 4 1/2  years ago. Some new people moved in down the road. They had
a wolf-hybrid and a husky. There are no leash laws out this way. We
would sometimes see these dogs running the neighborhood,and I always
felt uneasy about it. I had just gotten a show pup from my friend Donna
Sater two weeks prior. I came home from work on a Friday eveniing,looked
all around (we have two acres ,with two unused acres adjoining ) and
didn't see these dogs anywhere. I went in,got my pup on a leash and
walked down the front walk about 25 feet from my front door. While my
pup was nosing around,I got "that feeling" that something was watching
us...I looked up,only to see these two dogs about 20 feet away,with the
wolf-hybrid staring at my pup like it was "dinner".  My heart seemd to
stop, and since the pup was already too big for me to carry,I tried to
hurry it up the walk to get inside. The next thing I knew,we were both
sprawling in the grass.....the wolf hybrid had leaped on us and knocked
us down...it immediately went for my pup,and rolled it over....I
realized it was going to go for its' stomach and without thinking ,I
threw myself on my pup to protect it. It then went for the throat. The
next few minutes were a nightmare,as I kept throwing myself on top of
the pup to shield it from the attack. I was rapidly becoming exhausted
and had cried for help many times, but with no near neighbors,it
appeared I was going to end up watching my new show pup being killed
before my very eyes. With one last cry for help,a neighbor heard me,and
came running with a ball bat. I never even saw him coming,as I was
rolling around on the ground,trying to cover my pup. He told me later
that the wolf-hybrid saw him coming with the bat and still stood his
ground,until the very last moment. It then ran,but doubled back again
toward us. Another neighbor came running with a gun and fired over its'
head,and sent it running for home. They called an ambulance ,as I had
deep lacerations on my hands and fingers. My pup looked dead,and I was
in shock,as he also turned out to be. I insisted the ambulance crew help
him first. He sustained 5 deep lacerations,but made it. However,he
refused to go to that area of the yard for many weeks. I had stitches
and a brace,and two months worth of PTSD,but we both came through it. I
also was missing a cat (one that never left the yard). I later found it
by the creek with its' stomach ripped open. Also later found that it had
terrorized various neighbors' animals.  It was impounded and put down.
These animals are NOT  "pets" and should never be thought of a such.
Just my experience,Jean