[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: OT Sad the unknowing public, more sad these kind of breeder

  • From: "Susan Tomlinson" <arcturus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 11:01:58 -0500

   The breeder is bad enough, but you are right its really sad that people
would go out and buy a puppy, often spending $1000. or more and not have a
clue what they are buying. All the puppy lemon laws in the world will not
protect these people because they will just not take the time to learn about
dogs before they buy. Heaven knows there is plenty of information on the
internet about how to buy a puppy from a reputable breeder. Here is
Lancaster county we have an interesting "marketing tool" happening. Last
spring a group from Philadelphia put up a billboard on the turnpike heading
into Lancaster proclaiming Lancaster County the puppy mill of the world. It
has the usual warnings about puppy mills ect. The interesting thing that has
happened, rather than decrease sales, people are coming in droves to buy
puppies here from the farmers. Its gotten to the point its impossible to
drive down one of our main roads and not see signs at the end of farm lanes
for puppies. You name the breed, you can find it. (they are also advertising
Guinea pigs--not sure what thats about). Most are ACA registered and that
doesn't seem to be a problem. We had a article about this is our local paper
and the farmers they interviewed just crowed about how many sales they had
this year. In fact, I just saw yesterday there were 5 new zoning
applications for kennels up for hearings this month. All are asking for
large kennels..ie 75 dogs and up.
  We, sadly of course, know what happens next. Someone buys a defective
puppy then tries to change the laws to make it tougher to breed.
Sigh....SueT