[ SHOWGSD-L ] OFA is only a tool...

  • From: "Laurie Pruett" <pruett@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 08:50:47 -0500

I've done this dog breeding thing long enough to realize that OFA is a =
tool only.  OFA status is just one of the factors that I take into account =
when planning my breeding program.  A hip that is a little off - borderline=
 or mild - won't automatically eliminate an animal from my breeding =
program.  I need to look at the entire animal, consider its VIRTUES and =
faults and it's pedigree, and make my decision based upon the "big =
picture".  I would choose a breeding partner that would help me breed away =
from a less than perfect hip  but I wouldn't necessarily throw away an =
animal with a less than perfect hip.   A borderline or mild hip will NEVER =
affect an animal's quality of life, so, if it isn't a problem for the dog, =
then it isn't a problem for me.  (And, doesn't the German system give an =
"a" stamp to a less than perfect hip?)

Now, I realize that some people will be horrified at this post, but I know =
that there are many successful breeders out there in shepherds and in =
other breeds that feel as I do and do as I do.  Also, OFA is not the be =
all and end all.  We all know of animals that OFA pronounced dysplastic =
that, when re-exrayed and submitted to a different OFA panel, passed.  =
And, we all know often times board certified radiologists and Canada's OVC =
disagree with OFA's evaluations of hip and elbow status.  So, while I use =
OFA as a tool, I do not let OFA dictate my breeding decisions.

I've done a breeding to an OFA excellent (with OFA excellent littermates) =
to an OFA good, and gotten hips that I would not using in a breeding =
program.  So, even excellent hips don't guarantee a good outcome in =
offspring.

And yes, I have eliminated animals from my breeding program based on hip =
status.  But, I make that decision, not OFA, not the parent club, and not =
the AKC.=20

As always, it's JMO, but I know that I'm not the only one with that =
opinion.=20

Laurie Pruett