[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Now baby puppy raising...how do others do it?

  • From: Zoa Rockenstein <zrockenstein@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx" <Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx>, "tc.kathycarlton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tc.kathycarlton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx" <rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2014 10:52:51 -0800 (PST)

I will look forward to reading the books you suggest as well!  Thanks!

Dr. Zoa Rockenstein
www.riverrockgermanshepherds.com
Generations of Dually-Titled Champions
and Protective Companions for a Changing World

>________________________________

and it includes a suggested reading list.  Two faves are:

>Playtraining Your
Dog, Burnham
>Purely Positive
Training, Booth

>I am going to
order/read the book you hand out Zoa :)

>Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
>Celebrating generations
of Dual Titled TC'd Champions
>visit http://www.pinehillgsds.com/
>
>In a message dated 2/9/2014 12:34:42 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
zrockenstein@xxxxxxxxx writes:
>I agree with all of this.  I like the book How To Raise A Puppy You  Can Live
>With by Rutherford and Neil.  It is organized by developmental  stages during
>the first year and is based on solid research.  It  outlines what the breeder
>should be doing to maximize puppy development during  the first weeks and
>carries that through for the buyer.  The book shows  the buyers what has
>already been done to socialize and develop their puppies  while in my care.
>Then it tells them exactly how to continue as the  puppy grows.  It is
>available for $14.00 at Amazon.  I give people a  copy when they put a deposit
>on a puppy.  It supports, and includes, most  of the suggestions others have
>made.
>>

>>Zoa
>>
>>Dr. Zoa Rockenstein
>>www.riverrockgermanshepherds.com
>>Generations
  of Dually-Titled Champions
>>and Protective Companions for a Changing
  World

>>>________________________________
>>>From: Terry Carlton  <tc.kathycarlton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>>To: "Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx"  <Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx>; "rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx"
>>><rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx>

    continue to learn and get ideas! Other exposure I have done is my last
    litter @ 6 weeks exposed to sounds of fireworks, not close up but from a
    distance - it was around July 4th time.
>>>And my opinion, DITTO on the
    continued classes, GSD must have a job and the start of the job is
    puppy/obied. classes which includes more socializing+bonding with
    handler...then onward and upward for a sound
    GSD.
>>>Kathy
>>>
>>>________________________________

    line...

>>>I do a whole lot of things with a/b people.  I am
    frankly amazed at  how
>>>MUCH effort they put into raising a
    litter.  Well before the 8-9 weeks  when a
>>>puppy would leave,
    some build little jungle gyms, some feed in a wading
>>>pool filled
    w/ empty water bottles (noise), many have modified tunnels, quite
>>>a  few purchase washable "baby and toddler' things from toys r us
    and most
>>>do all  they can to introduce a puppy to as many things as
    possible before
>>>they go to  heir new families. Some feed a number
    of different things in
>>>different places  and so on.
>>>
>>>Working
    for myself, I have the luxury of being able to just about sleep in
>>>the whelping box the first week, little nails start to get done at 2-3
    days
>>>so  as not to scratch mom, as soon as a puppy can toddle they
    are taken
>>>away from  their littermates for a bit, they learn
    different flooring surfaces,
>>>the ice  maker,
    washer/dryer/dishwasher/vacuum noises and I am deliberately
>>>noisy,
    dropping a metal feeding dish on concrete, allowing a push broom to
>>>fall
    on  concrete, dropping silverware on the kitchen tile floor etc.
    By
>>>about  4 weeks puppies are on the table, nothing formal,
    constantly handled,
>>>of course  my hand is right there under
    them.  As soon as they can toddle
>>>appropriate  toys are
    introduced. I have tried the water bottles/wading pool
>>>thing and
    puppies love it.  I have a very large kitchen, laundry, mud room
>>>area,  large tiled foyer, long tiled hallways and at about 4 weeks
    2-3
>>>puppies at  a  time come in and socialize with adult dogs
    other then their mother.
>>>(I  wouldn't keep let alone feed a dog
    that would hurt a puppy).

>>>By six weeks families who have reserved a
    puppy visit, and even though a
>>>puppy is not theirs, puppies are
    brought out, hugged and loved on.

>>>The result?  (And I'm proud of
    this!) Nothing, and I mean not-a-thing
>>>phases them when they go to
    their companion homes.  In other words, I don't
>>>have people
    reading Monks Of New Skeet and asking "fear period" questions, nor
>>>do I make excuses when girls come in season for the first time about her
>>>being  hormonal. AND I strongly encourage new owners to continue
    the process,
>>>puppy-K,  beginner obedience.
>>>
>>>A puppy that
    stays will continue learning, rides around town and trips to
>>>parks, puppy class at the a/b club, lots of people and all different
    kinds
>>>of  puppies/dogs to meet there.  Ditto herding
    lessons.  More dogs, more
>>>doggy people.
>>>
>>>Among most
    doggy people I know, and now that I reflect on it, perhaps
>>>slightly more of an emphasis is placed on those interested in
    performance, this
>>>is viewed as good, common sense puppy
    rearing.   What it ISN'T viewed as is
>>>somehow covering up
    temperament issues or  compensating for something they
>>>possibly
    could be afraid of in a pedigree.

>>>Maybe I have been hanging with a/b
    people too much <G>, but they sure  do a
>>>nice job!
>>>
>>>So
    how does everyone else start their GSD puppies?

>>>Or do many believe
    you end up with the same puppy/adult if you just skip
>>>all of this,
    more or less forget about a puppy until they are 6 months or so
>>>and  you evaluate where to head for a Futurity?

    certainly don't skip the early learning weeks/months but not because  I
>>>am covering things up, but because I want a dog to be the best they can
    be,
>>>and will only breed when I am up for all of this and can put
    the rest of
>>>life on  hold and will only grow one out when I am up
    for all of early
>>>foundation  (challenging with all of the snow and
    ice lately!).

>>>Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
>>>Celebrating
    generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions
>>>visit http://www.pinehillgsds.com/
>>>

>>>In a message
    dated 2/8/2014 7:47:35 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
>>>rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx writes:
>>>
>>>If you  start with genetically strong nerved dogs of
    good temperament and
>>>character,  with a pedigree,
>>>behind
    them of similar, you don't end up with spooks either, regardless  as
>>>to how they are started.
    ;-)

>>>===========================================================================POST

    is Copyrighted 2014.  All material remains the property of the original

>>>Each Author is
    responsible for the content of his/her post.  This group and its
    administrators are not responsible for the comments or opinions expressed
in
    any post.

>>>ALL PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT THE FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION
    OR USE IN ANY MANNER OF ANY MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE
    EXPRESS PERMISSION OF ALL PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT IS
    EXPRESSLY FORBIDDEN, AND IS A VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS OF THIS
    PROHIBITION WILL BE PROSECUTED.

    List Management at admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

    WEBSITE - http://showgsd.org  SUBSCRIPTION: http://showgsd.org/mail.html

    List Management at admin@xxxxxxxxxxx