[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: No Bracket Formula for us

  • From: Hickoryhill <hickoryhillgsd1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx, Carolyn Martello <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 06:45:01 -0700

I agree with Carolyn  on this point. Let me stress that Brackett is only a
theory, it is not 100% accurate, if it were we would all be meeting with
success 100% of the time. Not every dog needs to be linebred on. Currently I
see linebreedings that I would NEVER do, mainly because I feel the dog being
linebred on is not a noteworthy  enough specimen to warrant intensifying what
few qualities he may have BUT also intensifying the poor qualities that he has.
Carolyn and Frank share a similar back ground as Steve and I only started with
one brood bitch, which gave us GV Bull, we usually had no more than a couple of
litters a years probably 3 at the most, so we couldn't afford to make stupid
mistakes. We too were raising a family of three girls, so money was going all
directions! As Carolyn states, know your lines. Although I probably would not
be as adventurous as to do a half brother sister breeding, you knew your lines,
Carolyn, and it produced a GV for
 you! dog breeding will never be absolute, that is what keeps it interesting.
You must study bloodlines and structure, but putting it all together is an art.
Not everyone, no matter how many shows they go to, no matter how much studying
and pouring over pedigrees they spend hours doing, no matter how much mentoring
they receive, will be able to take the information and create an outstanding
specimen of the breed, some just don't have the gift for it. Christine
On Sat, 7/26/14, Carolyn Martello <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Subject: Re:  No Bracket Formula for us
 To: hickoryhillgsd1@xxxxxxxxxxxx, dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx
 Date: Saturday, July 26, 2014, 12:36 AM

 We all have our own
 theory and method from our own experience I guess.
 Like Christine and Steve....Frank and I had no
 mentor nor advice from
 anyone when we
 became interested in the Breed and breeding and showing,
 and we were busy with a young family.
 Breedings were few and far far
 between as
 were shows.  We studied the Breed & pedigrees a lot
 during
 that time and went to shows
 occasionally to observe, but really were
 not
 breeding.   A litter occasionally.
 At most, we live with 5 - 6 dogs.  One or two
 older ones, sometimes one
 or two bitches
 that we can use for breeding, and at times, something
 young we are showing that will be placed in a
 show home, or be bred
 in
 time.   We cannot afford the time and volume for
 many mistakes.

 By our
 own experience I would not advise anyone according to Lloyd

 Brackett's formula, or any equation,
 nor mine nor anyone else's formula.
 don't think it's that simple.  There are simply
 some dogs or lines
 I would not line breed
 with, no matter what the book
 says.   <G>
 You need to
 know your dogs, know WHY you want to breed that
 particular
 bitch or into that line, and what
 is good and not so good about the
 stud you
 choose according to the Breed Standard.  Every reason for
 every
 breeding, or LINE, OR DOG, and the
 reason for that decision is never
 the
 same to be able to plot it out on paper according to the
 advice
 of a mentor or another breeder.
 IMO.
 The original question asked if they
 would be "defeating the purpose"
 for doing a Lloyd Brackett breeding by going
 "twice on his 2/3 formula."
 WHAT
 PURPOSE?  Do the dogs you are line breeding on solve a
 problem,
 or bring in some outstanding
 needs...or is it to maintain the quality?
 Some dogs will produce their pedigree more than
 themselves.
 KNOW the pedigree.
 The main advice I personally would give to
 anyone is ...that YOU
 KNOW YOUR DOG!  KNOW
 THE LINES!  KNOW why it IS worth breeding, KNOw
 the  OUTSTANDING points, KNOW what is behind
 it.  KNOW what the faults
 or concerns are,
 KNOW what needs to be improved or utilized for the
 good, and what stud and what line  you need to
 either bring in, or
 take out, or double up
 on.....and.... FOR WHAT REASON.

 Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 www.marhaven.com

 ----
 From: On
 Behalf Of HickoryhillSent: Friday, July 25, 2014 7:26 AM
 Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Bracket
 Formula/least puppy, hodge-podge

 John DeHope once told me to judge your litters
 by the least as well as the
 best. In an
 ideal litter their should be uniformity in type and the
 difference between the best puppy and the least
 puppy should be nominal.
 Christine
 On Thu, 7/24/14, dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 wrote:

 Subject To: hickoryhillgsd1@xxxxxxxxxxxx,
 , edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx

 Date: Thursday, July 24, 2014, 7:28 PM

  Agree.
  Furthermore, I want
 dogs/bitches from "cookie cutter" litters.
 Line  breed

  on those and
 they will breed "true".  I have passed on litters
 when  the
  litters were a hodge-podge
 because, even though you might pick the best
  puppy, (and it might be a heck of a dog in the
 ring),  it will produce
  hodge-podge.

    I was once told the litter is
 only as good as the least puppy...and BOY
 is
  that true because if you
 keep a dog back from that litter "least puppy"
  will  revisit you again and again in the
 whelping box.
  "Least puppy" by
 the way could be structural or it could be health or
  temperament....
  Kathy,
 member GSDCA, DVGSDC
  visit http://www.pinehillgsds.com/

  hickoryhillgsd1@xxxxxxxxxxxx
 writes:

  Strongly
 disagree, the first 3 generations are most important, as
 often
  animals produce  traits like their
 grandparents and not the immediate
 parents.

  People who do  protection work are not as
 interested in preserving
  structural traits
 that can  be lost in one misstep breeding. If it were
 truly this
  simple as your
 "mentor"  states then an outstanding dog, bred to
 an
 outstanding bitch would always  yield
 outstanding progeny, I think we all
 know
 this  is not the case. On one  hand we have the
 "oversimplification" of
 dog
 breeding, which was vocalized by
 your
 mentor and which usually doesn't produce  desired
 results, and on the
 other hand we have
 those who may know the top  winners, but lack the
 study
 habits or simply don't
  have the knack to know the  difference
 between "winners"  and producers".
 The later
  breeders, if you
 want  to call them that are easily  duped by big win
 records
  beaucoup progeny
 being shown, yet they pay very  little attention to the
  phenotype of the progeny, they simply see
 numbers,  and numbers in their
  minds
 equal  "producers. Back when I started in the breed,
 (boy do I sound
 old)
 we
 studied  pedigrees, we ferreted out who the real
 producers were, and we
 paid
 attention  to the progeny phenotype. I
 didn't have  a mentor, so I had to
 rely
 on
 my  powers of observation and studying
 bloodlines, and what lines seem to
 work

 well together. so what I state above  is
 not conjecture, but actual breeding

 principles that we applied in our own
 breeding program. I think this
  principles
 served us pretty well!  Christine

  On Wed, 7/23/14,  edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx
 <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  wrote:
  My  mentor in
 protection dogs once told me that the most important dogs
 in
  puppy's pedigree
 are the dam and the sire!  Duh!  Simple but  true
  Sent from Xfinity Connect Mobile App

  ------
 Original  Message
  ------

  From: dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Bracket Formula
  Michelle
 Graham  _vicisheps@charter.net_

  writes;

 HI...OK  I am thinking about doing a breeding based on
  Bracket    Formula...however it would be
 going twice the
  2/3 formula...both  on
 bitch side and on sires...is that too close &/or
 would I  be defeating   the purpose
 of doing it in the first place...just
 curious if anyone had   done it before and
 would do it  again.
  Thanks Michelle
  ----------------------------------
  I  answer;
  The things you
 have to remember about these formulas is that  they are  a

  tool for the toolchest not the answer  to
 everything.  And that it is
  important
 you use these  formulas on dogs known to you for maximum
 success.

  One
 formula  I use is the X Chromosome factor or Motherlines.
 I am  very
  happy so far using this as a
 good tool. There is a lot more to it but
 If you are interested here is a starter
 course on
  the use of
 motherlines.