[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Nibbing

  • From: GrnRam415@xxxxxxx
  • To: cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 00:03:57 EST

In a message dated 12/23/2005 8:41:31 PM Pacific Standard Time,
cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
ALL my American bred Shepherds have "nibbed." (We call it "biting =
fleas.")
Even our new pups, that were picked up at the National, "nib."  They =
only do
this to my husband, myself, and the Alpha bitch.  We did have one very =
sweet
stud who constantly "nibbed" on all the bitches he met. Maybe it's a =
show of
submission and/or affection?  You, Miss Em, and the rest of "Da List" =
have a
great Holiday.
Paulette McGuirt

PS  I've owned only 2 German bred dogs and they never displayed this
behavior.
That is so interesting.  Never thought to compare American to German lines
but you are right.  Neither my German bitch nor her pups (Germ/Amer cross)
display this behavior. We call it "chompies"  But, my American line girl, her
husband and all their pups do chompies.  Well, so does my rescue guy and who
knows
what lines he came from, LOL!  Also interesting is they also do this only to
myself and the alpha bitches.  The rescue chomps on my daughter too.  hmmm.
Must be a submissive grooming thing.

Laura Thomas
http://www.treasureranchgsds.com/