[ SHOWGSD-L ] New question; judges & future judges

  • From: RopajaGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 22:53:08 EDT

I've had a personal experience, I will share that MIGHT shed some  light...a
champion going in the specials class (this is a dog that has won under  both
specialty and all breed judges...not Joli) and here is what the judge ( a  GSD
judge) said to the handler afterwards...."when you came in the ring with  your
dog, I thought this is my kind of GSD....gave the dog the breed over the
other special and the class winners....when you came in the group ring with the

dog and all the dogs went around the ring...I said to myself this GSD is my
group dog....(sounds good so far doesn't it?)....but when you did the down and
back, the dogs ears were not alert enough, where was its owner??? and when
you went around the ring the last time, your dog tried to leave the  ring...so
I couldn't give him the group....now is it about showing or is it  about
structure???....now you may say that is All-Breed for you....however, my
fellow
exhibitors, you and I both know that it is at the speciality ring that  we ALL
out do each other in trying to get our dogs "to show"...to  "alert for mom or
dad"....with our bells and our whistles...etc etc....so this  "showmanship" is
definitely in both rings....as to the placements being a  way of evaluating
the dogs as the best ones for breeding purposes...that is  all well and
good...as a knowledgable judge, you can evaluate on structure, and  generally
temperment,  but as a judge (unless you know the dog  personally) you do not
know what
the genotype of these dogs are..so your  placements as far as breeding stock
is concerned could only be based on  appearances and not the genetic make up
of the dog (and I do not have to go  into detail as to what that
entails)...since on any given day you as the  judge do not know what it is...
And of course
when you have a number of  quality animals in the ring....it comes down to
what one of our judges already  mentioned, and that is the age old question
of...which one would I take home  with me...personal preferences, and as Evan
would
say..."not that there is  anything wrong with that.."

Pauline  Moon
Ropaja German Shepherd Dogs-Ch Ropaja's Chateau Beaulieu OFA HIC;  BIS Ch
Ropaja's Chateau Beaujolais OFA HIC; Ropaja's Viva L'Endimanche  OFA; Beecher
(Retired Seeing Eye Dog)