[ SHOWGSD-L ] "Natural Rearing" Book

  • From: "Penny & Bill" <Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Show List" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 07:54:10 -0400

With all the discussion of raw feeding, I thought I'd remind everyone of a
great book:
There is one book that is like the BIBLE for all natural rearing and feeding.
Juliette de Bairacli Levy first published THE COMPLETE HERBAL HANDBOOK FOR THE
DOG AND THE CAT in 1955.  The edition I have is the 1992 updated version.  Not
only does the author outline and discuss natural (raw) diets, she discusses
care of the brood bitch, the "natural rearing" of pups and the use of herbs.
The author does not believe in shots at all, thinking that they lower the
immune system--this lady was WAY ahead of her time.  On her diets, her Afghans
have lived to be 20+ years and she believes that this should be THE NORM for
all dogs, not the exception.  Everybody should read this book--not that you're
all going to switch everything you do because of it, but because the book
offers many logical, methodical ways to do things with our dogs and cats.  The
author is often quoted in other , more recent or modern books  (ie Dr.
Pitcairn's--which is another GREAT book.)
Penny in NY