[ SHOWGSD-L ] NEWSLETTER BRAG!

  • From: Gaitaway Shepherds Erika Brink & Kristi Jacobs <gaitawayshepherds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsdlist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 21:35:38 -0800 (PST)

 The German Shepherd Dog Club of Alaska is very pleased to announce that the
Dog Writer's Association of America presented two awards this evening that
stemmed from the German Shepherd Dog Club of Alaska's newsletter; The Northland
Shepherd News.  The first was a "Maxwell" award for the article "Animal
Collecting Syndrome" (Aug 2006) written by editor Kristi Jacobs.  The second
was a story written by Teri Wilson, a very talented writer from San Antonio,
Texas.  Teri was kind enough to give our newsletter an exclusive on her
wonderful story "Sacrifice", which also appeared in our Aug 2006 newsletter.
This beautiful story received the Westminster Dog Club's "Angel on a Leash"
award.  Teri and her husband attended the DWAA banquet in NYC and she was
awarded a beautiful plaque and a check for $500. The Angel on a leash award is
given in honor of its therapy dog program at the Morgan Stanley Children's
Hospital of NewYork-Presbyterian, for the best newspaper or magazine article
 or television news feature about the impact of the use of therapy dogs in
health care facilities.  The Northland Shepherd News was also nominated for
best National, Regional or Local club newsletter.  We were one of five
nominations and this was the second year in a row that our newsletter was
nominated.  Even though we did not win the "Maxwell" award, we are extremely
proud of these nominations as we are a one editor, home printed newsletter and
the competition was extremely tough.        Teri Wilson was also nominated for
another of her short stories ?Mission Im-paw-ssible? (Paw Prints: The Magazine,
July 2006) and she also now has a book available for sale.  The name of her new
book which just came out last week is "All Creatures of Our God and King: What
God's Word Says About Animals" published by Eden Publications.  For information
about ordering her book go to www.teriwilson.net.
      To reiterate what I wrote in our final issue of the newsletter....being
our club's newsletter editor opened up many new doors for me and I have made
some lifetime friends that I might otherwise would never have crossed paths
with.  Being the editor of the Northland Shepherd News was truly one of the
greatest experiences in my life.  Thanks for letting us brag!

  German Shepherd Dog Club of Alaska
  The Northland Shepherd News
  Kristi Jacobs - Editor (Retired)