[ SHOWGSD-L ] Mummified puppies

  • From: Kate Syssoloff <rockannand@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 13:16:58 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

I've done some investigating over the net and now wanted to ask the List for
input or experiences, if any, with mummified puppies.  This is the first
time in all my breeding career, that a bitch failed to whelp normally.  This
bitch gave us a super litter once already.

OK.........

Last Monday morning at 4am, we lost our entire litter.  Normal pregnancy up
until whelp time.  1:30am, a shriveled up afterbirth and lots of black-green
goo presented itself before a breached puppy......  alarm bells!!  2 hind
legs and together Lauea and I managed to get the dead puppy out.  She was
the biggest puppy I have ever seen.

Arrived at the Langley ER an hour later.  Her calcium levels were low so she
was unable to contract.  After administration of both, she pushed out 2 more
absolutely gigantic but dead pups.

ER says pups lacked fluids and had probably been dead for a couple of days.
What a heartbreaker..............

2nd opinion was Dr. Zwamborn at 8am.  "Over cooked puppies" he said. (his
terminology is gruesome at best).  Give her calcium next pregnancy until
whelp time.  This advice I need to investigate.

Anybody????

Kate Syssoloff

PS~~ thank heavens I had 6 gorgeous puppies to come home to!!!