[ SHOWGSD-L ] Moving On

  • From: The Crystal Crow <thecrystalcrow@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 18:47:43 -0400

March. I had called both Dawn and Mom, and I know Mom posted on the
List-thank you to all who sent condolences. I Just haven't been able to talk
about it...I miss him so much, still. Unfortunately, my health hasn't been
the best-I've had mononucleosis since the 9th of March, and it has been a
long recovery. I am still not back to work yet, Max was my constant
companion through all of this...and I had told him to let me know when he
was ready to go.
I was selfish, I admit. I wanted my big man with me as long as I was able to
have him, and being laid low, I was clinging tight. He was my velcro dog.

One night, I was awake, and Max went to get a drink of water. He fell, and
cried out in pain. I realized that I could no longer hold on. My big man was
in pain, and he was ready, even though I was not.

Last week, over a month after the terminal visit to the vet, I had my first
outing-slowly recovering from the mononucleosis. We went to an outdoor art
festival, and I saw a beautiful painting of a German Shepherd. Speechless
for a time, I stood in front of the painting, then burst into tears.

Horrified, I turned to the artist, who smiled and began telling me about the
Westie who had been her companion for many years, who she had lost a month
ago...and I told her about Max. It was a cleansing, healing talk. I left,
drained, but beginning to heal.

I have deleted every Showgsd and LastHopeSafeHaven post unread since Max
died. I cut myself off from my community in order to heal, because I
couldn't deal with it.

I have talked to Mom, and she knows that I want to start again, with a male
black puppy who can grow with me from the beginning, and that's gonna take a
couple years-which is perfectly fine. I told Jackie today, ?I'm ready?,
meaning that if there's a senior out there that needs a place, my senior
rest home is again open for business, but she said; ?Hold on, wait,
something is going to happen.?. She's usually right in these cases-I may get
a call from Richmond Animal Care with a dog that needs me; a friend may pop
up and say, ?I know someone who has a Shepherd they can't control. Can you
help??.

So I'm not looking, but I'm ready for when it happens.

Thanks again to all who sent their condolences, and my apologies as well
that I was unable to personally reply at the time.

Kristal Crow

The Crystal Crow
2107 Ginter Street
Richmond, VA 23228