[ SHOWGSD-L ] Military Working Dogs

  • From: "Stormy V. Hope" <stormy435@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "<showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 08:23:19 -0800

Here is the most recent word from a woman who has been working closely with the
Congressmembers to get this far.  I was told that in 2000 (or 1, I forget),
Clinton signed a bill allowing dogs to go to Lackland to be retired, so that no
dogs have been left behind as they were in previous wars since then.
While this is in the NDAA, it still isn't law until Congress passes it and the
President signs it.  This does not reclassify the dogs from "military
equipment," and only covers MWDs, not the other various designations of dogs
who work (I don't know what these designations are, maybe somebody does… CDS,
SS.

She wrote:
"There have been several posts on several pages with incorrect information
regarding the Canine Members of the Armed Forces Act's amendment into the
National Defense Authorization Act.

To clarify the confusion, we are posting direct links to the NDAA and the
Conference Committee's report. With regard to the NDAA, the MWD information
starts at the bottom of page 166 and goes to pages 167 & 168. The Conference
Committee Report, while not law, communicates the wishes of the Committee to
the Secretary of Defense regarding MWDs. Information on this report can be
found on page 110.

Everyone who helped get our MWDs this far is to be thanked and congratulated.
We have all made a tremendous step forward for our MWDs. Congressman Jones and
Senator Blumenthal will continue to work for us to get our mission completed.

NDAA can be found at:
http://docs.house.gov/billsthisweek/20121217/CRPT-112HRPT-705.pdf

The Conference Committee Report can be found at:
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CRPT-112srpt173/pdf/CRPT-112srpt173.pdf

MWD thanks to all who helped with this."

Subtitle H—Other Matters
21 SEC. 371. MILITARY WORKING DOG MATTERS.
22 (a) RETIREMENT OF MILITARY WORKING DOGS.—
23 Section 2583 of title 10, United States Code, is amend24
ed—
VerDate 0ct 09 2002 19:40 Dec 17, 2012 Jkt 000000 PO 00000 Frm 00166 Fmt 6652
Sfmt 6201 C:\DOCUME~1\ECBLOUNT\APPLIC~1\SOFTQUAD\XMETAL\5.5\GEN\C\H4310C~1.XML H
December 17, 2012 (7:40 p.m.)
F:\SLC\ASCR13\H4310CONFRPT.XML
f:\167
1 (1) by redesignating subsections (f) and (g) as
2 subsections (g) and (h), respectively; and
3 (2) by inserting after subsection (e) the fol4
lowing new subsection (f):
5 ‘‘(f) TRANSFER OF RETIRED MILITARY WORKING
6 DOGS.—If the Secretary of the military department con7
cerned determines that a military working dog should be
8 retired, and no suitable adoption is available at the mili9
tary facility where the dog is located, the Secretary may
10 transfer the dog—
11 ‘‘(1) to the 341st Training Squadron; or
12 ‘‘(2) to another location for adoption under this
13 section.’’.
14 (b) VETERINARY CARE FOR RETIRED MILITARY
15 WORKING DOGS.—
16 (1) IN GENERAL.—Chapter 50 of title 10,
17 United States Code, is amended by adding at the
18 end the following new section:
19 ‘‘§ 994. Military working dogs: veterinary care for re20
tired military working dogs
21 ‘‘(a) IN GENERAL.—The Secretary of Defense may
22 establish and maintain a system to provide for the veteri23
nary care of retired military working dogs. No funds may
24 be provided by the Federal Government for this purpose.
VerDate 0ct 09 2002 19:40 Dec 17, 2012 Jkt 000000 PO 00000 Frm 00167 Fmt 6652
Sfmt 6201 C:\DOCUME~1\ECBLOUNT\APPLIC~1\SOFTQUAD\XMETAL\5.5\GEN\C\H4310C~1.XML H
December 17,168
1 ‘‘(b) ELIGIBLE DOGS.—A retired military working
2 dog eligible for veterinary care under this section is any
3 military working dog adopted under section 2583 of this
4 title.
5 ‘‘(c) STANDARDS OF CARE.—The veterinary care pro6
vided under the system authorized by this section shall
7 meet such standards as the Secretary shall establish and
8 from time to time update.’’.
9 (2) CLERICAL AMENDMENTsec10
tions at the beginning of chapter 50 of such title is
11 amended by adding at the end the following new
12 item:
‘‘994. Military working dogs: veterinary care for retired military working
dogs.’’.