[ SHOWGSD-L ] MO,Kansas City-Animal control officers will go door-to-door to check for animal licenses

  • From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 08:31:44 -0700

http://www.kcfreepress.com/news/2010/may/05/kcmo-will-enforce-pet-licensing-odinance/
KCMO begins enforcing mandatory pet registration

Animal control officers will go door-to-door to check for animal
licenses

By Emily Farris
Wednesday, May 5, 2010

David Goodwin didn't know he was supposed to register his two Boxer-
mix puppies with the city when he got them a little over a year ago.
He assumed that when he had them fixed and got all of their shots,
he'd done everything right. "I had no idea that we hadn't paid certain
things," he said.

Those certain things could end up costing Goodwin $150 in fines if he
happens to live in one of the city's targeted areas for animal
licensing enforcement.

Today, Kansas City, Mo. will begin enforcing an ordinance that
requires all residents to license their cats, dogs and ferrets (yes,
ferrets, too). Animal control officers will knock on doors every
Wednesday through September 1, asking people if their furry friends
are licensed. And if pet owners can't show proof of registration, they
could be fined $75.

KCMO pet license enforcement schedule

http://www.kcfreepress.com/documents/2010/may/04/kcmo-pet-license-enforcement-schedule/
Download .PDF

While some pet owners may see this as a surprise enforcement of a law
they didn't even know existed, or just another way for the city to
make money, officials claim it's more of an awareness campaign.

"We want people to know," said Patrick Egberuare, Manager of the
Animal Health and Public Safety Division at the Neighborhood and
Community Services Department. "The whole idea is to get people to
understand the ordinance. We don't want to fill up the shelter. The
fewer animals we take to the shelter the better off we are, and the
less expensive it will be for the animal owner."

If a pet gets loose and is picked up by the city, the impound fee for
an animal is $100. And that's not counting daily boarding costs, and
tickets for non-registered pets. It's a lot like what happens if your
car gets towed. But unlike registering a car, no matter how fancy the
breed, or whether the dog is a rescue or cost you thousands of
dollars, licensing a pet is cheap. And easy.

Pet registration can be done through many veterinarians' offices and
online. With proof of vaccines, the annual fee is $10 per pet if the
animal is spayed or neutered and $33 for "unaltered" animals. With the
license comes an identification tag ? which is partially the point,
depending who you ask.

Ron Rutter, who lives north of the river, licensed his Irish
Wolfhound, Maggie, shortly after he got her three years ago. He said
he'd always known about the "long-standing" ordinance.

"I look at it as a way that the city picks up extra cash, but it also
helps fund the animal control group and you know there's a certain
benefit to it," Rutter said while Maggie played at Penn Valley Dog
Park yesterday. "At least there's some identification so they can
recognize and back-track through the files so you have a better chance
of reclaiming your dog if it ever gets away from you."

Egberuare said the ordinance has been in place for as long as he can
remember, but this is only the second year the city has done the door-
to-door enforcement, and the first time it's been such a thorough
process. Last year's initiative was a two-week test run.

"This is a good thing," said Ashlee Parker, Communications Manager at
Wayside Waifs, a no-kill animal shelter in south Kansas City.
"Hopefully this will reunite lost pets with their families. If the pet
is registered and it ends up in a shelter, it's a partial ticket for
that pet to go home.

"We just got a brand-new information packet from the city about this
so we'll be reinforcing it during the adoption session," Parker said.
"We will be encouraging every adopter who lives in KCMO to follow and
comply with the law."