[ SHOWGSD-L ] Long Beach May Lift Ban on Dog Breeding

  • From: RihadinK9@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 14:33:28 EST

A MINOR step in the right direction... but still not great as it would  still
require breeder licensing (INCLUDING BACKGROUND CHECKS)....

<< December 24, 2005
latimes.com : California
Long Beach May  Lift Ban on Dog Breeding
# Officials act after the American Kennel Club  threatens to yank its
championship show.
By Stephen Clark, Times  Staff Writer

Long Beach is moving closer to lifting its long-standing ban  on dog
breeding after the American Kennel Club threatened to pull  its
lucrative championship event out of the city.

The issue has  sparked a debate in Long Beach, with critics of the
change saying it  would lead to more stray dogs that would have to be  put to
death by animal  shelters.

At stake could be millions of dollars in revenue the city  receives
from the Kennel Club's annual event.

"It's a  passionate issue," said Vice-Mayor Jackie Kell, an outspoken
animal  advocate.

So passionate, in fact, that another council member, Val Lerch,  said  he
received more than 250 e-mails on the matter, easily  outpacing  those he got
on
airport expansion or a proposed liquefied  natural gas  plant.

The controversy started in 2003, when the  American Kennel Club warned  city
officials that the ban could stand in the  way of Long Beach  becoming the
home of its championship event. The club  promotes the  breeding and welfare of
purebred dogs.

The ban  prohibits anyone from breeding dogs â?? or any other animal â??
within
city  limits or operating kennels for the purpose of breeding.

But it fails to  provide the city with the ability to consistently
monitor or manage  dog breeding, city officials said.

"We have illegal breeding in the city,  but we can't do anything about  it
unless someone discovers it or tells,"  said Kell, who sits on the  board of
the
Golden State Humane  Society.

Long Beach is one of the few remaining cities in the state that  ban
breeding.

City officials decided this year to draft a  proposal allowing dog
breeding on a limited basis.

Dog  activists contend that breeding would lead to a lower rate of
adoptions of stray dogs from shelters, and then more dogs would be   killed.
They would rather see the breeding ban â?? in effect since 1982  â??
strengthened.

"This is like a slap in the face. There are no shortage of  dogs or
pets," an activist told council members at a recent City  Council
meeting. Legal breeding "could get out of hand. This will only  mean a  death
sentence for more dogs."

The proposal calls for a $140  breeding permit and a background check  on the
applicant, and it would  restrict breeding to one litter per  year. It also
would allow  animal control officers to enter the homes  of suspected breeders
without a  warrant, making enforcement easier.

But dog activists,  seeking a compromise, say the proposal needs to be
tightened to discourage  underground breeding. They want higher permit  fees to
offset the costs of  monitoring, and stiffer penalties that go  beyond
suspending
or revoking a  permit for violations. They also want dogs to bear microchips
to keep track  of them if they get lost.

At a meeting this month, the council delayed a  vote on the proposal  and
agreed to allow dog activists to help revise it.  It is to be  presented in
February.

"That's what we were hoping  for," said Justin Rudd, a local animal
rights leader. Rudd said he  supports responsible dog breeding, but not at
the cost of euthanizing stray  dogs.

Jack G. Smith, president of the Long Beach Kennel Club, a  local
affiliate of the national group that holds regional shows in  the
city, said he looks forward to revising the proposal. "All  ideas
should come to the table and be explored," he said. "We all want  the same
thing."

That same thing, both sides say, would mean higher  adoption rates and  fewer
dogs euthanized. According to the Bureau of  Animal Control, the kill rate of
dogs has been steadily declining, but so  has the number adopted.

Long Beach euthanized 1,520 dogs in 2004,  down from 2,053 in 2003 and  2,586
in 2002. But the number of dogs adopted  in 2004 was 1,233, a  drop from the
1,418 adopted in 2003 and 1,454 in  2002.

Activists fear that legal dog breeding could further worsen  the
chances of stray dogs being adopted.

"The logic is there's  not enough homes for all the animals; they're
homeless," said Shirley  Vaughan, president of Friends of Long Beach Animals,
a nonprofit group that  promotes the welfare of animals. "And  if we're
breeding more animals, then  those animals that get placed in a home take away
place from a shelter  animal."

There is no evidence to support that view, said Ron Arias,  director
of the city health department. Few purebred dogs end up in  shelters.

Carol Roemer, a retired Long Beach City College art  professor,
supports breeding dogs â?? responsibly. She bred her late  cairn terrier â??
Tykie, a purebred champion â?? twice in the 1990s, producing  three puppies the
first time and two the second. To avoid violating the  ban, she bred Tykie in
Garden Grove.

"It's not fun to try to get around  something like that because I feel
like I was a responsible breeder,"  said Roemer, explaining that the  puppies
not used for showing were  neutered.

Roemer wants to see an ordinance passed allowing responsible  dog  breeding
and cracking down on breeders who use dogs "to make  money."

But some say the American Kennel Club holds too much sway over  the city. The
organization is interested in making Long Beach the
permanent home of the annual championship, but a dog-breeding ban could  be a
deal breaker, club officials said.

"We think it's a great place for  the dog show," American Kennel Club
spokeswoman Daisy Oaks said. But she  added that the dog-breeding ban was a
"sticking
point" in negotiations.  "We've been very clear that it's important to us if
we're going to look at [Long  Beach] as a  permanent home."

"The AKC opposes unreasonable breeding  restrictions, and we support our
local clubs' efforts to work with city  officials to find
reasonable compromises that work best in their  communities," Lainie
Cantrell, director of public relations, wrote in an  e-mail. "We have been
working
with local fanciers and city officials on the  Long Beach issue for the past
few
years, and we are pleased that Long Beach  is considering removing the ban."

The annual championship, which has  also been held in Orlando and Tampa,
Fla., brings in millions of dollars in  convention and tourism revenue. In
2003,
the event brought about $4.6  million to Long Beach, along with national
television exposure. It is  scheduled to be held in Long Beach in 2006 and 2007.

This leads many  dog activists to believe that profit, not animal
welfare, is the  driving force behind the proposal.

"Is there anyone in favor of increased  breeding who is not monetarily
benefiting?" an activist asked at the  December City Council meeting, drawing
applause from other dog  activists.

Animal rights leader Rudd said: "I think it's sad when it gets  to
that level â?? when dollars can speak louder than death  rates."

But city officials deny that the American Kennel Club is calling  the
shots.

"I don't think the AKC has that type of influence,"  City Manager
Gerald R. Miller said. "It wasn't the AKC that was  influencing my
recommendation to look at the ordinance. It was not the  economic  impact or
national recognition. Those are good things, but I'm  more  pragmaticâ?¦. I saw
a potential problem" with enforcing the  ban.

Steve Goodling, president and chief executive of the Long Beach  Area
Convention and Visitor's Bureau, said the championship dog show is  so
valuable
partly because it takes place in December â?? a month that  is  usually slow
for
conventions.

"However, that is not the main  reason everyone was looking at this
ordinance," he said. "The main reason  is it's an ordinance that many  have
looked at
and said it's not  enforceable."

Ginger  Cleary, Rome, GA
a rumor flies around the world  while the truth is still putting it's shoes
on..
_http://www.rihadin.com_ (http://www.rihadin.com/)