[ SHOWGSD-L ] List help needed

  • From: "John Zumwalt" <candiasgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 08:58:06 -0600

I have a 4 year old male GSD that is having some issues and the vet can't find
a thing wrong with him after a complete blood work up, urinalysis and x-rays
and exam.  I'm going to go back a few months so you have his complete history.
Went to dog shows in Iowa in June.  No problems.  A tick landed on me, but
never found any on the dogs.
Tried to do a natural breeding maybe in July, but the bitch was too far out of
heat to
get it done.
September 3rd dog was collected and semen shipped.  Local vet with limited
collection experience got the collection done, but took quite awhile.  Sperm
count was good.  No teaser bitch available.
September 4th went to dog shows in Colorado (I live in Wyoming).   All is
fine.  Dog was a little heavy. When I got home I started cutting back some of
his food intake.  Sometime after getting home one of the girls comes into
heat.  I moved this male out of his run to the other end of my kennel
building.  At this point he's still eating.
September 10th I leave for dog shows in Utah.  He quits eating at these shows.
I figured it could be because of the traveling, though it's never stopped him
before.  While at the shows I notice several times that the glans on his penis
are swollen and he seems to be getting aroused a lot.  His handler even notices
this while stacking him in the ring.  We got home from the shows on September
13th.  He still won't eat.
I took him into the vet who ran every test she could think of .  Everything was
in normal ranges.  His prostate is only slightly enlarged.  She examined his
penis and found no damage or infection.  Says she notices he is dripping some
seminal fluid.  He also has goopy eyes and she gave me some medication for
that, but doesn't feel it's related.  I asked her to give him a Vitamin B shot
to help boost his appetite.  With adding wild game meat or chicken gizzards to
his food he will eat, but not his normal amount.  During all this he still has
good spirits and is very loving and will play when I put him out to play with
the girls.  The one that was in heat is out and so far no one else has come
in.  I still notice his glans appear to be swollen when I check his penis but
try not to check often as I don't want.  This boy has never had a natural
breeding (no girls at home to breed to him), and only been collected a few
times.  That's everything I can think of.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

CandyZ
www.candiasgsd.com