[ SHOWGSD-L ] Letter to AKC re Fitchburg

  • From: Steve Reierstad <wmj1944@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 15:37:32 -0800 (PST)

    This is the letter I sent to Peter Gaeta at the AKC about the Fitchburg
incident.  It will be interesting to see what kind of a reply (if any) I get.

  "First off, I was not at this Show.  I am reading reports from German
Shepherd exhibitors, and I have talked to two exhibitors who were there.

  It is my understanding that the AKC rep physically assaulted not one, but
several of the exhibitors, pushing them, putting her hands on them, and even
punching one.  There is no call for this type of behaviour, at a Dog Show, or
anywhere else.  It is against the Law for one person to physically touch
another without that person's consent.  This is known as Battery.  Apparently
the AKC condones this behaviour by the Reps.  I don't, and neither do most
normal people.  Had your rep touched, pushed or hit me, I can guarantee that I
would have had her arrested, and she, as well as the AKC, would be facing a
major lawsuit right now.  How would the AKC like that kind of publicity???

  You need to remember, before your reps indulge in any more high-handed and
illegal behaviour, that the AKC as a Registry has lost a huge amount of
Credibility in the world of Purebred Dogs, due to your misguided support of the
PAWS legislation in 2006, support which I understand is continuing now.  Now,
to add to that, the story of the Fitchburg incident is all over the country,
and guess what: the opinions I have read are overwhelmingly against the AKC
rep, NOT the GSD fancy.

  The GSD people do have a way to express their displeasure with the AKC and
the misbehaviour of their reps at shows: ENTRIES (or lack of them).  Lack of
Entries, of course, means less money for the AKC, as well as the Clubs.   We
don't like being bullied, called  liars, or generally being pushed around, but
evidently we have to speak a language that everyone understands.

  Stephen Reierstad.
  Member, GSDCA"

  Visit Two Feathers German Shepherds online at http://www.wmj1944.com
Website updated 11/28/2006.