[ SHOWGSD-L ] LA, Pointe Coupee Parish STILL GSDs,Dobies, Rotts, Boxers, Akitas, Chows, Pitts

  • From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd showlist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 16:56:05 -0700

Read down for the article and a response.
storm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
German shepherds, Doberman pinschers, Rottweilers, boxers, Akitas,
chow chows and pit bulls
Please continue to write the Pointe Coupee Parish officials regarding
their proposed ordinance that targets several breeds.

Pointe Coupee Parish, Louisiana

Pointe Coupee Parish Police Jury
P.O. Box 290, New Roads, Louisiana 70760
(225) 638-9556
Fax (225) 638-5555
Email address: jbello@pcpolicejury .org

Mr. Allen Monk
P.O. Box 285, Batchelor, LA 70715
(225) 492-3704

Mr. John Pourciau
3768 La. Hwy. 419W, Batchelor, LA 70715
(225) 492-2701

Mr. Russell Young
9005 Mandela Drive, New Roads, LA 70760
(225) 638-3941

Mr. Glenn Ray Cline
14110 Chenal Road, Jarreau, LA 70749
(225) 627-9511

Mr. Willie Olinde
P.O. Box 256, Ventress, LA 70783
(225) 638-8726

Mrs. Melanie Bueche
11850 Hwy 416, Lakeland, LA 70752
(225) 627-4055

Mr. Albert Dukes
8979 Rodney Drive, New Roads, LA 70760
(225) 638-3383

Mr. Cornell Dukes
309 Railroad Street, New Roads, LA 70760
(225) 638-8778

Mrs. Janet Vosburg
9431 False River Road, New Roads, LA 70760
(225) 638-8328

Mr. Kurt Jarreau
P. O. Box 383, Livonia, LA 70755
(225) 637-2540

Mr. Joseph Bergeron, Sr.
P. O. Box 90, Fordoche, LA 70732
(225) 637-3486

Mr. Clifford Nelson
P. O. Box 336, Ventress, LA 70783
(225) 638-3589

Dog Ordinance Debated

By EMILY HOLDEN Special to The Advocate Published: May 26, 2010

NEW ROADS â?? Pointe Coupee Parish police jurors on Tuesday night
rehashed a proposed animal-control ordinance that would place greater
restrictions on owners of large and potentially dangerous dog breeds
and authorized the sale of a park to help fund a chemical spill alert
program.

Under an Animal Control Committee proposal, German shepherds, Doberman
pinschers, Rottweilers, boxers, Akitas, chow chows and pit bulls would
be subject to the ordinance.

The Police Jury decided to ask New Roads to adopt a similar animal-
control ordinance because the proposed parish ordinance would not
supersede city, town and village laws.

During public comments, one parish resident urged the jury to speed
passage of the ordinance although she had been attacked by Labrador
retrievers, a breed that would not be subject to the new restrictions.

A handful of parish residents complained that dogs of any breed are
capable of aggression.

â??When a dog is dangerous, itâ??s because the owner is not properly
taking care of the dog,â?? said Elizabeth Guidry, a dog trainer.

Guidry, who brought a pit bull with her to the meeting, added, â??This
dog is supposedly potential dangerous or vicious, and he plays with my
3-year-old niece all the time.â??

Response from the list:
Several of us here in Lousiana spoke directly with the Point Coupee
Police Jury and we were told that this was TABLED, that it would not
be discussed at last night's meeting! I AM SO SO ANGRY right now
because we would have driven all the way out there to represent our
breeds.