[ SHOWGSD-L ] Judges Critiques

  • From: "Helen Franklin" <helen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 15:26:11 -0700

critique about shoulder placement, rear assembly, length of croup, under reach,
extension of hock...and don't know beans about what they are talking about.
Sounds great to the novice, sounds good to the learning and sounds laughable to
the informed.  Big words and lengthily descriptions do not make it so....!
It's called "Baffle them with Bullsh--"
No such thing as a perfect dog???? Some come so close that there's is little or
nothing to complain about.  I once wrote a published critique about GV Cricket
(before she was GV) that said..."I wouldn't change a hair on her magnificent
little head."  Her breeder/owner reminded of this recently.  I have seen other
dogs and bitches that are so magnificent, that I wouldn't change a hair on
their heads either.  As far as giving the negatives with the positives...once
again we DO have judges that judge poorly or are not sufficiently informed.  I
would hate to see one of them put something in writing that is in error.  I've
said this so many times, but it's been awhile.  In ALL THINGS, there are a FEW
good ones, many mediocre or average, and a few bad... judging included.   In
judging, name recognition plays a part but some of our biggest names are our
worst judges.  (I know I have long timers smiling at that one.)  Since memory
is short, they continue to judge somehow, based not on skill but on  "nice
person," long time in the breed, etc.  Since judging is by the book as far as
the standard goes, it is also very subjective at the same time.  Some judges
hate a bad head or ears, some want great pigment, some fault croups heavily or
what ever.  It can depend on what their fighting in their own kennel.  As a
judge you can select individual faults,  but it still comes down to the overall
impression.  Since some things like "color" is basically cosmetic and easily
corrected in a breeding program, those that put weight on pigment over
structure are in my opinion, lacking as a judge.   Once again, most judges are
average, a few are good and a few are bad.  Where you rate them depends I guess
on if you won or not.  Hopefully though, it will be on the quality  and
consistency of their winners.
Helen Franklin