[ SHOWGSD-L ] It is just the same

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 01:15:04 EDT

I am here in Reno at the Magician's convention. There are a number of  things
we can learn about our club by doing something like this.

I can see what it is like for a person to attend our National without
knowing anyone. There are 3,000 people here I do not know. As a matter of
fact, I
knew no one at all. I have now met 35 magicians from New Zealand, they  didn't
come talk to me, I went and introduced myself and we talked about types  of
slight of hand. I attended the opening meeting where the new President
introduced the board, the editorial staff of the magazine, and the committee
workers.
 Then I went to the meeting for people who were at their first  convention,
and I won a raffle prize, (but so did everyone else).  I have  plans to meet
two people to discuss card tricks, and one of the venders wants me  to help him
work the booth some time.

At the meeting for the first timers they put the name of a famous magician
on our back and we had to figure out who it was by asking a yes or no question
of the other people.  When they told me who I was, I still didn't know the
person, evidently a famous magician to everyone else here but me.

I introduced myself to the President, and he made sure I met some of the
other board members.

Then I went to the vender booths, and if you haven't seen 100 magicians
trying to sell tricks, you haven't lived. I was able to exchange some moves,
and
saw some interesting new ideas.

I did talk to Carl Ballantine, he is still alive and performing.  I  had met
him 50 years ago before he was on McHale's Navy and was just doing  comedy
magic. He is back and doing great.  There are stage shows every  night, and he
is
one of the performers.

I have the booklet they put out of benefits of joining, and some of them
might work for the GSDCA.

Tomorrow, shows, seminars, new friends to make, and people to listen  to.

It is strange to go somewhere where you don't know anyone, but also
interesting to see what it feels like.

We all need to reach out to the new people, and work hard to make sure they
feel welcome.   They sure are doing it to me here, but I have to  initiate the
first contact.  Maybe we need to remember that at our  National.

Evan
_Asgard German  Shepherds_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement  and Temperament come together