[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Interesting legislation....

  • From: Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: stormygsd@xxxxxxx, Lealynn@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 09:16:23 -0700 (PDT)

A less obvious example of a puppy mill is something I've witnessed first
hand......individuals that get into the breed with the best of intentions but
with no real network of support.  We all know that shepherd people are not the
most welcoming group particularly when it comes to newcomers, so these people
might give showing a whirl, find the climate a little to cold and unfriendly
and eventually drift away from showing their dogs.  They slap some abscure
titles on a dog here and there, but for the most part they collect Championed
GSD?s from other breeders and begin their own little breeding business with no
consideration given to specific lines and pedigrees and certainly no goals
towards improving the breed in conformation or performance.  They breed several
litters a year and sell their puppies as quality animals for ridiculously high
prices.

I can think of three such breeding facilities right here in Minnesota.  They
are well known to the general public, you see their kennel names in the want
ads of the local papers every week (they always have puppies), and they all
have slick websites and fancy advertising promoting their kennel designed to
lure in the buyer.  In my opinion they are nothing more than a glorified puppy
mill.

Cindy

Cinosam GSD's

Susan Madlung <stormygsd@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I don't believe Colleen is referring to those people who co-own dogs and as
such are technically the breeders of litters from those dogs, I don't think
she is talking about breeders of multiple litters on paper..
I know colleen, and I know from where she speaks -- and she is referring to
those people who call themselves "commercial breeders" (a fancy name for
puppy mill), those people who always have 2 or 3 or 4 litters on the ground
at their residence, those people who proudly state that they only need to
sell "1 puppy a day" to pay the bills - but those bills rarely include vet
care for the breeding animals.

these "breeders" with their "records" of success ARE among us, are NOT
interested in the betterment of the breed, or the people who come in contact
with our breed, they are interested in lining their pockets, manipulating
the masses and could not care any less about the health and welfare of our
dogs that they would a lump of doggy doo under their feet..

Cynical?? you bet!!
Sue Madlung - Shadowacre Reg'd German Shepherds
http://www.shadowacre.com
** WEBPAGE RE-DESIGNED MAY 11/05***

Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 7:24 AM
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Interesting legislation....

> In a message dated 6/1/2005 2:50:05 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> gsdsforlife@xxxxxxxx writes:
> Whaaaatttt??? 6 litters a year is NOT a breeding facility that has alot
of
> hands on time with dogs.... it is a puppy mill. That is NOT a facility
that is
> breeding for the betterment of the breed.
>
> Some people co-own bitches in name only and if their co-owners all bred
them,
> they could technically be breeders of 6 or more litters a year and still
not
> have any puppies in their possession.....or in some cases if they got a
puppy
> from each litter, it still wouldn't amount to 1 big litter. Let's not be
> judgmental here.
>
> Liz
> http://www.lealynn.com/
> Websites by lealynn
> GSDCA member since 1976
> Signers of the Breeders Code

> POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the

POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original