[ SHOWGSD-L ] In support of AKC

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 17:26:14 EDT

In a message dated 8/5/05 2:01:13 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
So this  is what AKC gets and deserves for acting like the big schoolyard
bully and not  letting the little guys play or win. They are not the only
*legitimate* game  in
town, and it's about time they got a clue and figured that  out.

I think Karen makes a good point, but I want to just say a word about the
AKC.

I am the Southwest Trial Board Chairman. We just held a hearing for a
exhibitor who claimed she had not signed a transfer slip. The AKC sent out an
attorney from New York with the head of the enforcement department of the AKC.
They brought up a handwriting expert from North Carolina, and put on 6
witnesses.

There was me, and two other judges, and we held a one day hearing. The AKC
paid for all travel, motel rooms for everyone for two night, and  expenses. I
am paid $600 a day, and my two associated, $500 a day. We are  allowed to rent
a car, and all costs such as parking and meals are paid  extra.   This was all
to give this person a fair hearing.  They  were asking for a one year
suspension on registration only and a $1,000  fine.

The AKC is a large organization, but they work hard to protect the sport  and
those in it. They have a number of problems, but with the extent of the work
they do and the people involved, it is amazing how little they lose of those
registrations we send in, and in the form we send them.  They respond to  our
questions, and have many departments to help us if we need it.

The AKC does a great deal to publicize the sport, and at the all-breed
shows, they have all sorts of information to hand out free.

Yes, the AKC does make money, but since when in America is that  wrong?

I have found that the AKC is perhaps at times too big, but the people in it
work hard, and do the best they can, most of the time.  I have fought for
them, and against them, and always found them to be ethical.

I do not agree with the AKC and its' stand on PAWS, and neither do many of
the delegates and member clubs.  But, after talking to some of the AKC  members
and a director, I do see that they feel it is better for the members to  find
a way to eliminate the puppy mills. They may be mistaken in how it is going
on, but the purpose is bold and fair.

There is a lot of competition for who will be the registry in the future.
Today, the AKC is the top one in America, and for us, the GSDCA the best method

so far to enjoy our breed, and our parent club. Other registries do not
recognize a parent club for the breeds, and in ARBA they accept the standard of

either the AKC or the other registries such as the FCI.  But, for us, the
GSDCA, the AKC is who supports us.  And, we support them.

Evan

_Asgard German Shepherds_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement and Temperament  come together