[ SHOWGSD-L ] Iams Money-Not Rescue

  • From: "chsweetsun" <chsweetsun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 07:42:59 -0500

Now, I will be the first one to tell you that I truly do rescue here, and truly
do take back my dogs.  However, I do not feel this money should go for Rescue.
This money was won because people on the internet voted the GSD as the No. 1
dog.  I feel we wouldn't have to Rescue so many if we had better education to
the Public.  I get calls every day with many, many questions about GSD's.  What
are they like around families?  Why do they slop in the rear? Will they turn
mean as they get older?  White? Black? Sable? what does that mean?  Why are the
lady down the roads BYB dogs so much cheaper than yours?  Why show a dog?
Don't all GSD's have some form of Hip Problems?  What is all this Back problems
I am hearing about?  What do you feed a GSD?

COME on folks.  WE need better EDUCATION... even the Vets in my area are not
educated on 80% of the problems we can see.  I just heard someone say they had
a swimmer.  The vet she took the pup to had NO Idea what it was.  Even my very
own Vet will call me or send a person to me if they get a GSD with something
they don't know what it is.
Could we make web sites that are "layman's terms" to just educating public...or
something...and even pay or something that whenever anyone sits down at their
computer and says...hum...I think I want to buy a GSD.. where do I find a
breeder...BAM...up comes this page made by the GSD Iams Money to tell them WHY
they should buy from a Reputable breeder...period.  Something simple.  Not at
all knocking our own GSDCA web page, it is wonderful..but it is not Simple and
Smacking them in the face.  Doing a Yahoo and Google search I see that AKC and
GSDCA are #1 and #2 things that come up.  So you got to that page.  Then you
have to start searching thru a ton of different pages until you find any "true"
info on the GSD.  We should have something easy that just instantly opens to
something titled like..Know who you are buying from...or Why You should not buy
from BYB....or Buy your next friend from a reputable person.  We also should
develop pamphlets...pass them out to every breeder.  Use the money to mail
things from the AKC whenever they get a person registering a litter...ok..you
are registering a litter of GSD's...the GSDCA would like you to include this
pamphlet with each one of the pups you sell...and send them 8 pamphlet if they
register 8 pups born in the litter.  It would be the simple, layman terms, of
what a GSD is all about, and why they should not breed that dog to Joe Shmo's
dog down the street.
Please help stop the problems ... before they happen... that is much easier!
YES, Rescue is great.  Let's put a stop to the need to rescue....
Tari Kridler
http://germanshepherdrescue-neohio.com
http://members.aol.com/kridlersgsd

  In a message dated 1/23/2005 10:19:44 PM Central Standard Time,
  fmurch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
  These dogs did not
  ask to come into the world, people brought them in and I think that we owe it
  to them
  The money should go to rescues. I've seen first hand what could happen to a
  dog. I did research for a speech and I also volentered at AWL with the Amboy
  gsd's. I felt so bad to see the dogs the way they were. I hope the money goes
  rescues so that they can help more gsd's with all the things they need.
  Melissa Chavez