[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: I think this post is more viable now than the original date says!!! Someone made me do it!

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: domara4@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 18:29:54 -0400

Barbara -
Please understand that no one is changing the Standard.  The Standard is
NOT being changed.
What's being prepared is an Illustrated Standard...this is something
many breed clubs do to explain (and illustrate) their standards for
prospective judges, new owners, etc....but mainly it is used by new
judges.  There has already been a form of the Illustrated Standard
around for many years, prepared by Orrie Nordness and small enough to
carry with you at all times.  Someone said it is 50 years old...whether
that is an accurate dating, I don't know.
    The problems with this new Illustrated Standard include:   it has
more "crap" in it than there ever needs to be...by the time someone is
preparing to judge they should also have a firm grasp of conformation,
gaiting faults, and a certain ability to understand English (like when
the Standard says erect ears, we shouldn't have to draw a picture of
flop ears);  the drawings depict in every instance save two a dog that
most show people ON THIS CONTINENT wouldn't keep.  The two exceptions
are the drawing of the dog's head straight on (the side views look like
some other breed) and the drawing of the dog that most show breeders are
trying to breed...and that drawing is labeled as "excessive angulation"
and presented as faulty.
    If you would take the time to look at the IS on the PC website, you
would understand why almost everyone who is involved in showing
conformation dogs is freaking out about this presentation.
    If this is a "done deal" as people are saying, then there are a
bunch of people out there who need to be hit in the head with a brick
and kicked in the butt a few times, as the NIS as presented on the
website is doing the North American style show German Shepherd Dog a
great disservice.
Peggy