[ SHOWGSD-L ] I hate goodbye's

  • From: Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 17:41:41 EST

Yesterday I had to put my sweet ol boy Cruzer (Trillia's Cruz  Control) to
sleep.  He suffered with DM.  Been a long battle,  but he finally lost his
"spark".
I just wanted to share his beginning....I am sure many will remember  this
incredible storm.
His dam, Trillia's Blink of an Eye (Mattie) came into season almost a  month
early, and wouldn't you know it when it was time for the breeding,  that very
nasty storm of 96 had hit almost all of the east blanketing the  roads from
Canada to Tennessee with FEET of snow.  But you know when  you are determined
get a bitch bred, nothing but nothing stands in the  way.  The weather
reports were terrible and chances of going due  south from Buffalo to southern
Pennsylvania were impossible.  We were  heading for Penny Hughes' place to
breed to
Stonehavens Goodtime Charlie -  am sure many of you remember him.
So instead of going due south, to miss the worst of the storm we went  west
then south to Pittsburgh. All was well until we started into West  Virginia and
the OMG....the snow was unbelievable.  We finally found  a gas station near
Fairmont that was cleared well enough to get into, got  gas and stopped at the
State troopers office to check on interstate  68.  We were told it was closed,
even the big trucks were not going  through. Then the trooper looked at my
plates, Canadian, and commented  that us crazy Canadians drive in
anything....so
we could give it a  try.  It was one of the worst drives across 68 to
Cumberland  Maryland...should have taken no more than 1 1/2 hours....it took
over 4.
We finally made it to the Super 8 hotel, and fortunately they had just
ploughed to lane and 1 path to the overhang.  That was it. We  let Penny know
we
got in and she said she would call when her husband  plowed them out the next
day.  Anyway, it was a trip to remember, and  resulted in an 7 pup litter.
Cruzer was the last survivor of the  litter.....he would have been 12 this
coming
March.
A friend reminded me when I lived in Canada he would come to the door  in the
winter and when you asked if he was cold he would shiver all  over.....it was
a good act.  He had a coat like a wooly mammoth and  never stopped playing.
When he was happy the hairs on his forward  literally shined.
He was the sweetest of boys, good natured and loved  all.  DM is so hard when
the body goes and the mind is still  there as so many of you know.
Run wild and free buddy - hope you find some snow to eat at the  bridge!

Molly

Trillia German Shepherds  since 1972 ph 409-287-3940
Member GSDCA, GSDCC, GSDC of Beaumont, Life  member CKC
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone  amateur
built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the  Titanic"