[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: How many wolves do you have

  • From: <vomkristallaugen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Edwin Hill <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 15:30:39 -0600 (CST)

That's a cool tidbit of info.  There are wolf hybrids...with Shepherds,
Siberian Huskies...that I know of.  I would never fiddle with it, but I have
heard of it.

=====================
From: Edwin Hill <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun Dec 11 09:38:18 CST 2005
To: freelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] How many wolves do you have

In a 1993 publication of "Mammal Species of the World", published by the
Smithsonian Institution in association with the American Society of
Mammalogist,this reference book is the final authority of the scientific
community on mammal classification, zoologist reclassified wolves and dogs as
being a variety of the same species ( I posted this to the list several years
ago but with out this detail)...The scientific name for wolf is Canis
lupus...the dog prior to this 1993 finding was Canis familiaris...they are now
both Canis lupus....the dogs specific race of wolf is Canis lupus
familiaris...the artic wolf's specific race is Canis lupus artos.......the
classical definition of a species is a group of organisms capable of
reproducing within itself, dogs and wolves can produce fertile off
spring............so the next time a woman calls me a dog...I will politely
correct her and tell her that...in fact...I am a wolf!...lol...now you know the
rest of the story.....FB

Kris Kudel
Vom Kristallaugen GSD