[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Horses and Dogs, You'll Be surprised!

  • From: "M. Mike Lynch" <cccaudiology@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rockannand@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 12:47:51 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Kate,

  Well I have to tell you. Being on both sides of the coin, (I am a Crate
Hauler as well as a licensed IJA/UMHA/KHMA/USEF Horse Show judge, Equitation
Coach and exhibitor) I can tell you...

  Its far cheaper to show a gaited horse (I cannot attest to a dressage horse,
hunter/jumper, Arabian or reining horse--only Tennessee Walking Horses and
American Saddlebreds) than it is to show a dog. I have a very popular and well
known trainer in Los Angeles. My horses are boarded there and monthly boarding,
including feeding, etc.. is only 250 A month. To be honest, I know of no show
kennel who boards less than 350 a month for  a show dog.

  My trainer charges a day fee (and hauling) to a horse show at 75$ a
day--doesn't matter if she rides your horse in one class or 50.. its only 75$ a
day. She does a great job,I tip her the extra 25.  The average handling fee per
dog in CA is 85$ (low end to 100$ per day). She does not charge a Bonus for
winning a Championship or a Grand Championship--I used to charge a bonus if I
won a specialty, Group I or BIS
  I show horses 8-10 times a year during the season, (even less for my
saddlebreds) but dog shows are weekly excluding the last 2 weeks of the year.
  Nationals trips are expensive. From CA-TN, if my horse wanted to go to the
nationals.. flat fee of $3500 for the trip. I usually send one horse and I have
to pay for entries for the national and shoeing.. Nothing more.  Sending a dog
to a terrier nationals runs you about $2500 per dog.

  Oh, by the way, the days of the big stables and kennels are over. I never
felt the need to own 25 good horses, I just have 6 of the extraordinary ones.
(OK, Ill be honest, I have 3 extraordinary ones, one that I'm attached to, One
that's good but I fight with,  and one piece of trash colt that I cant bring
myself to part with).

  Believe me, I grew up PO' (see, we couldn't afford the "O-R" some call it
"humble beginnings). My daddy was a horse trainer and some months he only
brought home 400$ a month.. divide that up by a household of 6 and you can get
a better grasp on how things were. But we were happy family and they still came
up with money for dog show entries, etc.

  Horses are completely my hobby. I make no money off it, but there's something
about the pleasure it gives me. I could probably have more to contribute to my
nest egg if I stopped, but then how boring would it be to get a "real hobby"
like Golf?  But the point is, and if you ask anyone--dog or horse-- that's been
there a long time.. they will tell you two things.. (1) NO sense owning
anything mediocre and (2) cost the same to show a good one as it does a bad
one..

  Realize your  dreams and then go for them.. realistically. Will I ever have
the beautiful Knolland farms of Ed Jenner and Luc Boileau with a World Champion
horse in every division or own the "3 gaited Open slot" for a period of years
like Mrs. Robeson's Albelarm Farms.. No way, thats not my calling in life. But
I can compete now on the same level with 1-2 horses every so often that makes
people sit up and say, "Is that another one from Blackhawk??"

  Mike

www.BlackHawk-Farms.com
Northern California American Saddlebred Horse Association
Vice President (Class of 2007)