[ SHOWGSD-L ] History Question and memory answer

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 10:50:37 EDT

In a message dated 5/7/2010 8:19:10 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
MASSTANA@xxxxxxx writes:

Tacoma  was grand Victor in 1989 with John Wilcox handling under  Betty
Radzevich. He  was owned by Sid Gilpin and Denise Collins.
He was  sired by Sel Ch. Woodacres Dakota and  out of Mika's Miracle by
Prestige. He  had 2 other Littermates,  Tirzah and Tennille who were
selects as
well.
And the best part is  that the Prestige in his dam's name was  Masstana's
Prestige, a GV  Impulse son that we sold to Sid and Denise at 4  months.
His
brother, Masstana's Parish, sired our first homebred  champion.   That was
long time ago

It is amazing how it comes back to haunt us all.

We bred the sire of Tacoma, Dakota.  There were two  brothers and a sister
that did well from that litter. We owned the dam of  Dakota, Dragonslayer
and Destiny Dale.  Her name was Dale.  We gave  Dale  to Woody Whitaker and
Tedi bred her to Raider a great dog owned by  Karen Taylor.  When the litter
was born we gave Woody Dakota, and we kept  Destiny. Since there was a third
male, we kept him, and Woody got the fourth  male and sold him as a pet.

All three of the litter were finished by 14 months and in 1982
Dragonslayer went Reserve Winner's Dog at the national, and then Destiny went
Winner's
Bitch and Select Two.  Barbara Amidon judged Bitches that year,  and will
be doing our National Specials this year.

In 1989 I was standing outside the ring waiting to go in when  John Wilcox
took Tacoma in.  Sid was standing with me and asked me, "Do you  think this
year he might go Select?"  I answered that I felt he could go  Select, but
had no idea he would be in contention for Grand Victor.  As  Tacoma started
to move, I saw a different dog, having a great day, and I quickly  felt he
might win it all.

Dakota did some good producing.  The Guz was the handler  for Dakota.   I
handled Destiny and Dragonslayer to their  championship, (one of our great
weekends was winning a five point major on both  Dragonslayer and Destiny
under Jack Newton, and then the next day two more  points on them both at an
all-breed), and while The Guz showed Destiny  to Winner's Bitch at the National
in 1982, I showed her to Select number  two, right behind Joan Fox's Grand
Victrix.  Behind me was Dave Rinke with  his bitch who would then go Grand
Victrix.  So, I ended up in a Grand  Victrix sandwich.

That year The Guz had three champions to show, and had to get  off of two
of them to show his other Special, (a Dakota daughter, and one of the  H
litter),  for Lynn Pike.   His bitch did not go  Select.

Those two that Jerry did not handle each went number two  Select in 1982,
they were Destiny and On Broadway.

Please excuse me the history memories.

It feels like it could have been yesterday.  And I am  amazed I remember
that stuff.  I must be having a good day.

Evan L.  Ginsburg
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/