[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Having a problem w/neighbors dog--need advice

  • From: Doris E <irrenhaus4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CheradonGSD@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 10:02:57 -0700

CheradonGSD@xxxxxxx wrote:
>Hello,
>Sorry this is a bit long.
>
>I am at my wits end with this and dont know what to do.
>I live in the country about 3 miles outside of a small town (Canastota,
>NY-central NY) There is a choclate lab mix  (UNNEUTERED MALE) who lives  less
>than
>1/4 mile down the road.  I dont think he has ever been around  here on my
>property before until the past couple months --that I know  of.  His owner is
>quite a JERK.  (Yelled at me for turning around IN  THE ROAD in front of his
>house, the other day.)  Gives me dirty looks if I  should DARE to wave Hello
>him as I drive by.  Is also a distant cousin  to my WONDERFUL friend next door
>neighbor.  She has told me that she is  afraid to turn him/his dog in for fear
>of what he might do to her or her  property or her dog.  He has been arrested
>for drunk and  disorderly/fighting more than once.  His house is a DISASTER as
>is his  yard--full of junk and broken down cars and vans and trucks and boats
>and jsut  plain JUNK.  The siding is all coming offhis house-- I mean--this
>place is nasty looking.  I say this to just give you an idea of this crazy
>guy who owns this dog.
>For about the past 2 months, this dog has been "visiting" my yard.  I  cant
>count how many times I go out in the morning and find a pile of his POOP in
>my
>front yard.  He pees on all my flowers and bushes.He pees around my  kennels.
> He even once managed to get the door open on one of the kennels  and left a
>big pile of POOP right in the middle of the kennel that I found when  I took
>one of my girls out in the morning.  Seems he does this mainly at  night.  I
>try to take my girls out to the kennel in the morning and they  are dragging
>me
>to all his pee spots to sniff (which of course I dont want them  to be near or
>touch).  When I first planted my sun flower seeds along side  the house and
>barn--he climbed over the little fence and WALKED THROUGH ALL THE  FLOWER
>SEEDS--I saw his foot prints all through my garden.--Now about half of my
>sunflowers didnt even come up. (and THAT is a tragedy since I am a sunflower
>nut).
>
>This dog is allowed to run the country side all the time-it is a MIRACLE he
>dosent get hit by a car-my road is a race track in the summer.
>I talked to the dog warden and she has told me that if I SEE him on my
>property to call her and she will come get him but she has picked this dog up
>numerous times and his owner just pays the fine and gets him out--keeps him
>tied
>for a couple days and then he is loose again and this starts all over  again.
>The dog is a cleptomaniac.  He takes things out of peoples yards and  drags
>them home.  Has takes carbage cans and pails out of my neighbors yard  and
> [...]
*Several years ago, I had to deal with a similar situation. I was afraid
of this person, too.  Soooo, I finally fenced the part of the property
that was not fenced, and ran a VERY hot wire through it.  I heard a
giant yelp the first night I turned it on, and I never saw the dog
around my place again.  A useful thing, as it also repels skunks and
other small varmints. I have seen just a single wire num low to the
ground, and it doesn't take long for a reasonably smart dog to figure
out he is not wanted there.    Doris*